Friggin depressing

plexus

I'm looking through some old notes and stories for research on the ASAP program and the Mtn Education Center up at Mt. Baker ski area. And it's pretty friggin depressing reading about people getting buried out there in avalanches on days that if anybody had a rudimentary understanding about avalanches, wouldn't put a ski out there. (IE Rumble Gulley in 1999 - three victims)

Now I know avys take the best of them, and some of the most versed, but it's the blinking-neon lights conditions that really tick me off. Where the hell is the common sense? madgo_ron.gif

Or is this just Darwinism?! confused.gif

OK, deadline is approaching, back to work.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and this from the Lowquality Pass:

Monday, January 27, 2003

This report was last updated at 8:08 AM

General

Weather Raining

Surface Conditions Wet Snow, Wet Granular and Machine Groomed snow.

Visibility (1 - 10, 10 being optimal) 6

Wind Speed south west 17 - 42mph

Alpental

New Snow 24hr (5am to 5am) 0"

New Snow Since 5am 0"

Base Depth Bottom 50"

Base Depth Top 57"

Temperature Bottom 35°

Temperature Top 30°

Summit West  

New Snow 24hr (5am to 5am) 0"

New Snow 12hr (5pm to 5am) 0"

New Snow Since 5am 0"

Base Depth Bottom 37"

Temperature Bottom 34°

Sounds like a nice day to be riding. hellno3d.gif

I skinned up to the top of the Palmer for some exercise Saturday and have never been so wet in all my life! Didn't see anyone else outside of 100 yards from the parking lot (not that I could have with visibility beingso poor) and it was pretty miserable. When I got back down to the parking lot, there was a tall young lady, heading up a little ways to go build a snow cave and sleep in it for the night alone. Pretty hardcore if you ask me! Supposed to get colder this week. Bring on the freshiez!

I thought I heard on the radio this am that they were closing hoodoo until futher notice. But then i have had a feavor for 3 days and didn't sleep last night. it is verry possible I halusinated it blush.gif

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

we got a dusting up here last night, and its actually cold so I don't post hole when i go out back to take a slash!

forecase for bachelor this week still has highs reaching into upper 30's at the base (6500'), the jet stream north of us, but hopefully saturday colder weather will return.

no precip in the forecast either.

our friends at hoodoo didn't make it through the rain this weekend:

http://www.hoodoo.com/chuck's_page.htm

Edited by gapertimmy

Hey Timmy I thought Bachelor made their own snow...

HA! the only run that has snow making on it, thunderbird and there is some issues with the water pressure. anyhow, it was snowing up here today, i got to do some wreckreatin' in a snomo, it was fun.

no snow to be made though, its not 28 up here!