Call for recipes

Squid

Hey all-

I have to come up with some decent recipes, pronto. We're planning a longish trip this spring (more than a couple of weeks), and it looks like I'll need something more varied than my traditional climbing menu of truckstop coffee and powerbars. The ingredients must be lightweight, nonperishable (we'll be caching for weeks at a time) and palatable.

Oh, yeah, the group includes observant Jews, Muslims, Catholics, vegetarians, and Rastafarians and rednecks.

Please help, I need it.

Spray on!

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My last trip to Little Switzerland included a fantastic breakfast of GU and whiskey (Knob Creek). It must have worked, because we had a blast. Plus the all female group of NOLS women took pity on us and fed us some chocolate chip pancakes. mmmmm.

If you want good food then get a dehydrator and make your own. Don't buy any of that pre packaged stuff or you'll just end up putting your fartfilter (sleeping bag) to maximum use. Oh yeah don't forget you want watery food and chuncky water at every meal.

So far I'm getting the following menu-

Breakfast- Hot buttered rum

Lunch- Hot buttered rum

Dinner- Hot buttered rum

In between we'll snack on HC and NOLS hotties.

It sounds a lot like my current diet.

We're heading up the Muldrow Glacier in the spring, and luckily enough it looks like there'll be a NOLS group up there to haul our bodies out.

I wish I could get dehydrated beer. bigdrink.gif

I did a search of the site for 'recipe' and several threads popped up.

Also I would search for 'ramen' to locate Jonathon's great thread on the subject.

My favorite book on the subject is by June Fleming, called 'the well-fed backpacker'.

Two things that dehydrate very well:Watermelon, sliced to a 1/4 thickness. Save yourself some hassle and get the seedless. Takes a while! Also ground beef is very good. Get fairly lean beef, saute and season. Rehydrate for a few hours.

Maybe some homemade brownies for desert.

The chicas' will dig ya! bigdrink.gif

Hello capitalist! Is it morning in America Yet?

We chinamen love to eat brownie. Also like to share favorite recipe to many American friend. I will post on later date since you have a football game to attend.

Thank you allow post on communist website in USA.

Something I almost always have at least once on longer trips is a concoction consisting of dried potato flakes and Knorr instant broccoli-cheese soup mix with a good pat of butter or margarine added. I usually add powdered milk equivalent to however much milk is called for by the potato flakes recipe. I'm a carbo junkie and this stuff just hits the spot for me. Just add hot water, stir and let sit 5 minutes. I use an insulated mug.

I usually do this one at least once during every trip. Get some of the instant rice, (takes about 10 min to cook) throw in some dried red chili flakes. When the rice is done, add curry powder, p-butter and whatever ingredients are in your trail mix, finally add some cayenne for some heat, mix it all up and you've got yourself some hot-n-spicy curried rice in peanut sauce HCL.gif

Kraft dinner mmmmm mmm

Buy 5 L of pesto per person per day - it worked in the Niut range. You can dress it up with pasta or rice if you dont like straight pesto wink.gif

Breakfasts suck. Instant oatmeal causes death. I suggest either taking in a sled full of pancakes and maple syrup, or just a few jars of Nutella and some Ryvita with currants to eat the nutella with

I believe it IS a proven fact that instant oatmeal causes death. See Vol. 29, New England Journal of Medicine, Pp. 543-44 (Gagme and Thenpuke, 1986).

But I've been digging the following, lately, and it doesn't have to be heated:

powdered milk

grapenuts

raisins

roasted (salted) sunflower seeds

Try it -- it is nutty and sweet at the same time, and if you don't wait so long as to let your grape nuts turn to complete slime, it actually almost seems like you are eating something real. The only other alternative that makes any sense is to just stop at a cafe on the way to your climb.

I cant do the potato flakes for breakfast thing. But a 25 cent instant japanese noodle brick is good, it gives you lots of water and fat to keep you going through the day. if you dont make soup just shake the flava packet on it uncooked and its ghetto fries!

if you are gonna be on a glacier everything will stay fresh so take fresh peppers etc if you can manage the extra weight. fresh veggies really jazz up the same old soup and pasta mix. couscous is the oatmeal of dinner, dont even go there.

Edited by Dru