Price Lowered - Eddie Bauer Expedition Parka - M

normankirk

To the best of my current knowledge, this rendering of the Eddie Bauer goose down filled expedition parka was manufactured in the early 1970's approximately 16 years before the company was purchased by Spiegel and the tagline "Expedition Outfitter" came to an end.

Although not off the shelf mint, it is in rare, overall exceptionally nice used condition. Application is similar to The North Face Himalayan and the Marmot 8000 Meter parka's, i.e., designed for the deep cold. The color is burnt orange in a men's medium. Made in Seattle, the parka is not a relic for display in a store front window or gear museum. It is fully functional and as ready for cold weather use as the day it was sewn together and filled with goose down.

Features:

- Goose down insulation.

- 1.9 ounce rip stop nylon outer shell and inner lining.

- Double off-set quilt construction. Stitch lines that you see on the outside are backed by the separate down filled chambers of the inner layer.

- Heavy duty #10 YKK double toggle plastic tooth zipper with an external snap closure draft tube.

- The hood is attached on the back side and has 2 additional attachment snaps around to the front. No sewn through seams..

- Parka length covers the buttocks.

- Waist and hem draw cords.

- Inside zippered chest pocket. 2 large insulated Velcro closure cargo pockets backed with hand pockets.

- Super lofty, packed with goose down.

- Rib knit inner cuffs.

- Weight is 3 pounds, 2ounces.

Condition:

Cons-

2 pin head size holes that were previously covered with tape. I removed the tape and its residue and repaired with Tenacious Tape.

Few faint stains and smudges here and there. Some faint spots that look like a tent mate tried to choke off laughing while drinking cocoa.

Pro's-

Overall the parka is clean with no grime on the collar, chin or cuffs. There are no tears or significant spots of wear, even on the cuffs. The few scuffs are superficial and the fabric is not fraying. All stitching is intact and the zipper operates smoothly. The parka's history is unknown to me however by appearance alone, it has been lightly used and well cared for. The color is not significantly faded.

Was asking $400.00, now $350.00, shipped.

Question For Northwest Mountaineering Oldsters - Does anyone know the specific model and manufacturing years of this parka? Thank you for your kind consideration!

DSC07153.JPGDSC07154.JPGDSC07156.JPGDSC07157.JPGDSC07158.JPGDSC07147.JPGDSC07149.JPGDSC07148.JPGDSC07151.JPGDSC07152.JPGDSC07159.JPG

Edited by normankirk

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry I just have to bump this for brand new XVs currently going for $350.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/peak-xv-down-jacket/388322243/_/A-ebSku_0880999907000060__388322243_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Men&previousPage=SCAT&tab=first%20ascent&color=907

As they say - Caveat Emptor!

Edited by diepj

• 4 weeks later...

Your perspective is short sighted and unneeded. Most educated consumers of outdoor products understand there are many brand new expedition parka's by various manufacturers on the market that sell for say $300.00 to $900.00. All designed for the deep cold. The age of this parka has not in any significant manner diminished its ability to function as designed. However, its functionality aside, it is presented for sale to that segment of the market that has an appreciation for an item that is vintage and has certain perhaps intangible qualities that go beyond today's mass produced, made in Asia for maximum profit symbols of status, identity and dreamed about aspirations. Walk the streets and campus, go to the crags, observe the stickers on the vehicles. The land is filled with homogenized want-a-be's as well as the real deals, many of whom have the appearance of a mass of REI display dummies that have just exited the store and dispersed through the country side. The mantra is consume, consume, consume. Talk about the duping of the masses. How desirable it is to be chic, stylish, vogue and cool. And, to be complimented on a jacket that you know hardly anything about accept where to plunk your card down on the counter and have it. Whew!

So what are the intangibles? Gear that has a story and a history. A connection with an innovative gear pioneer, his company and the American workers in someones hometown whom played a major role ushering in the Golden Age of climbing, backpacking and the exploration of some of the last unknown geography on our planet. And, instead of supporting more production with your purchase, keeping things going. Repairing and making things last to their end.

For me it doesn't matter a wit whether someone buys the parka, only that I'm putting it out there for further use by someone who values this sort of thinking. Vintage gear appreciates because there are those that do. What is anything worth? In the end, value is in the eye of the beholder. Another sort of economics intangible! Cheers -N