OR Winter Market

allison

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do some outdoor writing as well.

Been here six hours, made tons of contacts, had more beer than food, feet hurt already. cantfocus.gif

Just checking in after a star-studded media event with 40 media and our good pals Big Jim, David Braeshears, Ed Viesturs, Peter Potterfield, and a host of other bigshots.

Dean Potter and Steph Davis are everywhere.

Though my focus was pretty narrow, here's cool stuff I saw at the show:

Optimus NOVA stove. Not a new item, but one I hadn't checked out before. No rubber O-ring, and totally bomber. My quest to own one has begun.

Brunton's solar rechargers and butane lighters and lamps. Yea, a little lamp might be more of a camping item, but it's a cool toy. The butane lighters could practically light a rock on fire.

Scarpa footwear. The Pro Ascent and Light Ascent look like the ticket for approach/easy-climbing, and the Mountain Elite looked like a great ice and mountaineering boot.

Tecnica will lower the boot-top on its ice-climbing boot to a level more like the ole Altitude.

Danalco's Seal Skinz gloves and socks. These are awesome. Overcome your skepticism and get them.

Vaude has a new bomb-proof tent (Galaxy IV, I believe) that would make a great basecamp, or four-season, home. The interior tent hangs from the exterior. The poles attach to the exterior with shockchord that you loop into speed-lace hooks. Set up time is, like, two minutes. And it's affordable. They've also got some trick little packs, some roll-top weather proof ones, and there is no other bike panniers worth talking about.

Bolle's Contour and Krait goggles are the ticket.

And I am cukoo for Blurr's ever-increasing apparel line. Look for it in the States in the Fall.

Just when I was getting tired of being here, there was a rare Big Lou sighting in front of the Salt Palace this morning. We had a little photo op, complete with His Tallness giving the top of my head a sniff (I am fairly tall but Big Lou is still at least a head taller), and apparently my hair smells good. Good thing I washed it, or it would have had the smell of stinky nightclub Teva Party all over it.

Promise to post the photo of Big Lou as soon as I can figure out how. Oh yeah, and the heat wave is over---it's dumping freshiez right here in town.

Allison said:

I do some outdoor writing as well.

As is her norm, Allison vastly understated the truth with that statement! She is an "art asistant" for the powerhouse Washington Trails, and contributes gear reviews for the same publication. In the last year she was responsible for single page reviews of MSR Ttrekking poles, and a MEC rain jacket. Of particular importance was her two page synopsis of various on-line and mail-order stores, including Sierra.

We should be happy to have such a literary powerhouse and industry mogul as a regular poster here! WOW!!!

I bet she may even get paid! It must really take some pull to get into the OR.

Edited by crazyjz

I'm not kidding about the Seal Skinz gloves and socks from Danalco. Really practical, and a brilliant idea.

Brunton's bitchin lighter is called the Helios, and one of their butane lamps is the Lampray (it srews onto the same fuel cannister as many pack stoves). They've also got a AA battery solar recharger that retails for $20. Pretty fair price, IMO.

Here is my trip report:

Sorry for being such a wanker friends.

Go figure after skiing Park City, Deer Valley and the ridge behind chair 9990 at The Canyons in the backcountry it snowed 13" Saturday night and 22" last night after coming home. The skiing sucked except for the fresh snow in the B.C.

Watched the Freeskiing World Championships at Deer Valley on Saturday and skiied man made corn.

Drank shitty 3.2% alcahol content micros in Salt Lake City.

Arm wrestled Tommy Caldwell.

Kissed Beth and Lisa.

Drank free Happy Hour Drinks at the Emabass Suites after drinking free beers all over the show.

Man it is good to be home.

I don't even think you need to be connected, just work in the industry or write for someone. There really aren't a lot of media people there either, it's mostly buyers and sellers, which might explain why I got invited to some pretty swank events despite writing for a tiny, tiny magazine. It was pretty cool, all in all. cantfocus.gif

I don't even think you need to be connected, just work in the industry or write for someone. There really aren't a lot of media people there either, it's mostly buyers and sellers, which might explain why I got invited to some pretty swank events despite writing for a tiny, tiny magazine. It was pretty cool, all in all. cantfocus.gif

dont forget sponsored and would be sponsored climbers whoring for loot! rolleyes.gif