GoPro on Denali

kmehrtens

I know that a lot of people have taken their GoPros to Denali, plenty of videos. I have never owned one but I am looking to buy one (Hero Black 5) for next summer May/June on the West Buttress.

What is everyone's experience with them?

How is the battery life?

I know storage depends on quality.

I am looking to charge the batteries via a Goal Zero.

Any advice?

Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that using these as a regular camera yields the best results while climbing. POV footage, especially while on a route like the W butt, is generally too shaky and boring to be pleasurable while watching. Holding the camera and hand holding pano shots in critical spots (fixed lines, the ridge from 16-17k) should give you some sweet footage that you can splice together for a good "best hits" video of your trip. Have fun up there buddy!

Ditto to what others have said. I bought a GoPro specifically for Denali and i wish I would have put the money to upgrading my phone instead for pics and video. The newest ones might be an improvement over the one I have, but the sound was very muffled inside the waterproof case and footage super shaky, so most of the footage I took was not worth watching.

• 2 weeks later...

you're climbing a real mountain, get a real camera. Seriously, the GoPro has its place, but not for quality photography of big landscapes. Denali is a big landscape, you will want to zoom and get a broad scope of focal distances. I think most Go Pro images turn out looking like junk. Spend $300 and get a solid point and shoot with at least a 5x zoom and you will be way more satisfied in the end.

• 2 months later...