BEST MARTINI

sk

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the classic line, Minx, but if this "bruising" business is at all part of it, I'm willing to believe that it could have been the other way around in the book, and then for the movie they thought shaking was more sexy or something. Anybody have any of the books?

If you shake the martini on ice it will form ice crystals. This is the purpose. Screw bruising. Colder martini = better martini. I learned this at bartending college.

On the TV show "West Wing," Jeb Bartlett said that if you shake it up you cause the ice to melt more, and thereby water down the martini. He said that James Bond was drinking "wimp martini's." Is this just a liberal media lie?

There isn't a single thing truthful in that show.

I've read this, too, Matt. However, experts state that the ice and vodka are not in contact for too terribly long and thus it isn't a concern.

I believe the original martini had a mix had the following...

2 parts Vodka

1 part Gin

1 part Vermouth (blegh)

Personally, I stick with Kettle One, a dribble of olive juice into the shaker, and a quick swirl of vermouth around the glass that promptly gets tossed out. Let the shaker "settle" for a moment, two quick shakes and a strainer into a frozen glass. This is making me thirsty.

bigdrink.gif

About this colder = better thing. I want to hear more. Is that just true for Vodka, which really doesn't have much flavor? I'm more into Scotch, and I know that the ice is said to "release" the flavor, and it certainly makes it much smoother, but is that maybe because I actually don't like Scotch in the first place so if I dull it down it becomes more palatable? And what about brandy -- you don't serve that cold. What is the theory behind all of this?

I have heard that mixed drinks were pretty much invented during prohibition and that the purpose of most cocktails is to hide the bad flavor of prohibition-era liquor.

Mattp, I'll buy that. Scotch, I like served neat. Bourbon and good sippin' rums I like with a few chips of ice.

But how about this, a rum and tonic with a wedge of lime? Must be a darker rum, though. something like Mount Gay (sp?) or Meyers rum.

Of course a Mojito... now that's a cocktail for a warm night... which this ain't.

Edited by Toast

I have heard that mixed drinks were pretty much invented during prohibition and that the purpose of most cocktails is to hide the bad flavor of prohibition-era liquor.

This is what I believe to be true, Mattp. I know vodka needs to be cold, cold, cold (think, invented in Siberia). Brandy, I think, needs air and warmth to expand its flavor; much like port. I'm not too hot on Brandy, but I know it is served room temp and you need to cup the snifter in your hand so your body heat warms the liquid. When are we all getting together at Mattp's new house for a sampler party? Bring your favorite and a box of Triscuits!!!

I don't know about the brand gump (what is a "gump?") but I have often had brandy served, HEATED, in a large snifter balanced on a glass of warm water. The idea there, I think, is to cause more vapor to fill the bulbous snifter.

But I'm interested to hear more about this colder = better business. What are the reasons for this "rule of thumb" and what are it's limitations?

About this colder = better thing. I want to hear more. Is that just true for Vodka, which really doesn't have much flavor? I'm more into Scotch, and I know that the ice is said to "release" the flavor, and it certainly makes it much smoother, but is that maybe because I actually don't like Scotch in the first place so if I dull it down it becomes more palatable?

Matt, my take on this is that a cold drink has less flavor because it numbs your taste sensation. Try sprinkling a little black pepper on a spoonfull of icecream; it'a amazing how much you can put on there without tasting it....try it! Same thing applies to distilled spirits and beer.

I prefer my scotch (and most other beverages) room temp. When turning a newbie onto scotch I'll start them off with a tablespoon or 2 of water in the scotch to take the edge off it rather than putting ice in it.

About this colder = better thing. I want to hear more. Is that just true for Vodka, which really doesn't have much flavor? I'm more into Scotch, and I know that the ice is said to "release" the flavor, and it certainly makes it much smoother, but is that maybe because I

actually don't like Scotch in the first place so if I dull it down it becomes more palatable? And what about brandy -- you don't serve that cold. What is the theory behind all of this?

I've heard the scotch debate over and over. I think it's smoother as well as a bit watered down w/ice. The brandy drinks that mixed are usually served over ice, i think more out of habit than anything in particular. Brandy is generally served alone heated over steaming glass of water. Brings out the flavor, mellows it a tad. Yes vodka in the freezer improves it although it almost flavorless. Serving temp is dependant on the specific alcohol. Tequila neat at room temp. Rum, i can't honestly say that i know.

I don't know about the brand gump (what is a "gump?") but I have often had brandy served, HEATED, in a large snifter balanced on a glass of warm water. The idea there, I think, is to cause more vapor to fill the bulbous snifter.

Brandy, port, and wine are meant to be tasted with the mouth and the nose. These appellations release their body through interacting with oxygen since they have been aged in barrels and denied oxygen for a determinate amount of time.

Vodka, and other distilled liquors, don't necessarily develop this body and are best served cold. The exact science or explanation I can't give you, but now I'm revved up to do some research!!