Winter camping near Lillooet?

Todd Anderson

I have a few 4-day weekends coming up in the later part of this year, and if Lillooet ice is in good shape I think I'll head up (from Seattle). Can anyone recommend somewhere to camp for cheap up there? My station wagon is set up to sleep in, so really all I need is a parking space where I won't be harassed. Would also consider hostels, but Google isn't turning up anything cheaper than $50/night. I'm not very familiar with western BC north of Whistler, so any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of places to camp for free. The Cinnamon Creek forest rec site by Loose Lady and Marble Canyon Prov Park both offer free camping in winter. Near town, try pulling off onto the gravel road near the Seton Lake BC Hydro campsite (which is closed in winter but there's never really a problem if you park outside the gate). In the Bridge you can camp at the rec site below Terzaghi Dam, right by Night N Gale.

From past experience, the problem is not so much free camping but not being able to dry your gear. Wet ropes, gloves and boots will freeze overnight while car-camping. On a 3 or 4 day trip this can reduce fun significantly. Sure, you can bring it all in the pub with you and spend a few hours drinking while your gear dries out but that gets expensive too. Getting 4 or 6 people together in a kitchenette motel room seems like the cheapest option overall.

Lots of dirt bag camping options, but as others have said the issue of drying gear and clothing is an issue. I recall the Mile-0 motel as being very affordable, but it has been a number of years since I have climbed in Littlewet.

Todd,

I'm going try to round up a group of folks for some gas/motel expense sharing trips. Although my primary destination is Hyalite Canyon, if it is a cold year we might hit up Lillooet. Email me if you are interested: Daniel-p-smith@hotmail.com.

Hey i'll be up for a roadtrip to Lillooet from Seattle... and climbing of course.

I'm planning on living out of Bozeman, Dec-Jan..maybe Feb if lucky, and climbing Hyalite most weekends.. Familiar with the area and will be looking for partners as well.

shit, time to get in shape...

drenewemail@gmail.com

Edited by Dre

Funny story, a couple of years ago I was ice climbing in typical (rotten) conditions at Alpental. I was putting my boots on in the parking lot when a guy ambles over from a sweet Dodge Sprinter camper conversion. He asked about ice climbing conditions and it turns out he and he girlfriend relocated to Seattle from Colorado for the winter to, get this, ice climb.

He said there were so many good alpinists from Seattle that he figured the ice must be good. I told him all the good alpinists from Seattle go ice climbing in Canada, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado because the ice here is so fickle.

He said the guide book never mentioned that fact. I pointed out that the title 'Washington State Ice: The Elusive Beast' should have tipped him off.

• 1 month later...

Years ago, the owners of the Cayoosh Creek campground, right in town, didn't mind if you set up a tent there in the winter. No facilities, but it was more convenient than driving out to Marble Canyon after having dinner and some beers in town.

Hanging out at Mugs & Jugs, drying gear in front of their fireplace, was often the best part of a Lillooet ice weekend.

Edited by PaulB

Turns out I have more time off than anticipated and flights are cheap Thanksgiving day, so I'm headed to the desert to climb splitters with everyone from CO. There may be a Seattle-area group headed to Hyalite, though; I will certainly be there for the ice fest.

I am assuming that if ice starts coming in in the Lillooet area we'd hear about it on the West Coast Ice facebook page, but maybe not. In any case, it looks like highs in the 40s for the forseeable future up there.

I am assuming that if ice starts coming in in the Lillooet area we'd hear about it on the West Coast Ice facebook page,

Unless we are all too busy climbing to facebook it. But usually you get a week of warning before there's any climbable ice anyways.

Best way I know of to get climbable ice to form on the Coast is for me to go climbing in Banff or Jasper. Happens every time :/