Mountain Hardwear Direkt 2

TwoFortyJeff

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one for similar reasons. Then I got the vestibule as well. Aside from sleeping in it in my living room, I haven't used it in real conditions yet. I'm 6'2" and am ok with it being small. It's light. It's also better than bivying while squatting in a garbage bag, or just lying on your rope in your alpine shells on a glacial rock (Mt. Formidable).

For winter I sometimes use a tent fly with poles and no floor (Sierra Designs Super Flash), but if it's really windy, spendrift covers everything and that negates the benefit of a lightweight shelter. My VE-25 was nice on Denali's West Butt, but it's 10lbs; still I watched people there in little Biblers and Direkt 2 type tents at 17k' and they looked miserable, however the Direkt2 would be a good Cassin tent. The Direkt2 reminds me of a lighter Bibler I-tent that I bought in 1980 but that got destroyed while alone on the Hotlum-Bolum route in a winter storm high on Shasta. On Aconcagua, I just took a bivy sack. For 3 season use, I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2, which also did well in snow in the Alps of Tohoku, Japan, buts it's really just for light 3 season use.

So I think the Direkt2 will be a nice addition to the quiver. More later when I actually use it...

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent a few nights in one. Late seaon (~Early Aug) at Camp Hazard on Rainier, April-ish at Dragontail. Also have the vesti.

It is tight, this is obvious and is part of its strength. I'm 6-1 with a slender build. Its perfect for people like me with a spring bag. I would use it on Cassin but it would be really tight with a fat bag.

It is a PITA to set up. The more you set it up the easier it gets though. Practice. You can set it up without going inside if you have practiced, which could be huge if its nuking.

We didn't really have any problems with condensation. If it was storming bad and you had to seal it up you would get some serious condensation. It is what it is.

This is really a quiver tent. I wouldn't take it if I was expecting to wait out rain, I would take a light 3-season double wall or I wouldn't be climbing.

For your intended use it could work well. It is awesome to have a real tent that packs up smaller than a nalgene.

The vesti is pretty nice. Can't remember if we have ever had it with though? I only take it if expecting some bad weather and thinking about cooking inside. The thing it so tight that you would need a hanging system to cook inside and even then it would be a challenge. Also it is so tight that you're going to be on top of your boots (literally) if you have to bring them inside.

Basically just be realistic about the limitations. In good/decent weather and as a CYA its great. It would be cascade-level bomber if you guyed it out well. 17k on Denali? I didn't see any there myself and I would not recommend it. Only as a back up or pushing something technical in a good window where a "real" tent isn't an option.

I have one and have used it twice, early spring conditions (ie, lots of snow on the ground, temps below freezing), but there was no active precip. As you would expect, condensation can be an issue, as it has minimal ventilation.

I wish I had the vestibule.

Having also spent time in a BD FirstLight, I'd say that it's almost the same thing. except red.