Metolius TCU's vs. Aliens (small sizes)

COL._Von_Spanker

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was long a doubter, but Aliens rule! They can be completely bomber in a placement that you couldn't even get a TCU to fit or stick in. I think for the most part it's due to there single stem design, allowing them to be placed it constrictions where a TCUs stem would bind up against the rock.

Only downside is that the action seems to get mucked up a little faster than TCUs. Regardless, when I have to get more or replace old gear I will definitely be picking up Aliens.

Sometimes one works and the other don't.

I disagree, I've never seen a placement that a TCU would work in and an Alien would not, but have seen many circumstances where Aliens worked when TCU's blew out while bounce testing. In otherwords, Aliens allways work. Just my experience, usually obvious in pin scars...

Edited by Lambone

Lammy-

In my opinion, the stiffer stems on the TCU's help when you are trying to stuff a piece into a tight crack at the end of your reach. This is a situation where I might be able to place a TCU and be unable to do with an Alien. Otherwise, I agree with your comment and I prefer the Alien's but I DO think they bung up faster.

Lammy-

In my opinion, the stiffer stems on the TCU's help when you are trying to stuff a piece into a tight crack at the end of your reach. This is a situation where I might be able to place a TCU and be unable to do with an Alien. Otherwise, I agree with your comment and I prefer the Alien's but I DO think they bung up faster.

Whatcha ya doing putting gear in way over yer head...you're supposed to put it at chest level tongue.gif always, and never, ever give somebody a hip belay grin.gif

I never cared for Met's cams that much, especially for the price. I own two Aliens, and I must admit, I never thought there was a whole helluva lot difference in cams (ease of contraction, trigger type, etc), but it seems like you can't make a bad placement with the Aliens. I've used them in spots I wouldn't thing a cam could work and hold a proper fall, but after testing them, they held.

So another check for Aliens

Metolius TCU's and ALiens: it took some time but I eventually own both and use them when the situation warrents. Aliens seem to be my friend when I am gripped. TCU's took some using before I liked them and then it was like a new girl friend...couldn't get enough of them.

• 3 months later...

cat, aliens are great for horizontal cracks, where you have the stem loaded over an edge. you can get away with this due to their flexible stems. I ghetto-aided up so shit this past weekend by placing aliens in this way. I was daaaammn happy to have them.

CBS

IN THEORY THEY ALL WORK. BUT SOME WORK BETTER THEN OTHERS....

IN THE SMALLER CAMS MET AND CCH JUST SEEM TO HAVE A BETTER FEEL FOR THEM.

I DONT LIKE TO REALLY USE ALIENS FOR FREE CLIMBING. AS THE CAM ACTION GUMS UP PRETTY EASYILY. AND SINCE THE MAJORITY OF MACHINCAL CAM FALIURE COMES FROM POOR SPRING ACTION ON THE CAM.

catbirdseat said:

Here's a newbie question. What are the circumstances under which an Alien or a Metolius TCU would work and something like a Flexible Friend, or a Camalot would not?

i find that TCU's and aliens are great for pin scars because of their short axle length and their ability to be placed in shllow placements. I like aliens for their ease in placement and i like the TCU's for their ability to walk without walking (they can be tilted, but they dont seem to really walk in or out). that is just something that i noticed. my 2 cents.

JoshK said:

cat, aliens are great for horizontal cracks, where you have the stem loaded over an edge. you can get away with this due to their flexible stems. I ghetto-aided up so shit this past weekend by placing aliens in this way. I was daaaammn happy to have them.

Are the stems of Aliens more flexible than the stems of Flexible Friends or (in my case) the Clog knockoffs?

I think that Aliens uses 7x7 wire, whereas, and I am not certain of this, the Clogs use 1 x 19 wire, which is stiffer.