All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Ptarmigan Traverse conditions

FWIW, here’s a pic of Spider, Formidable, and the Middle Cascade Glacier from Mix Up peak yesterday. The Cache glacier was also in good shape. Not sure beyond that, but there were several parties headed out on the traverse.
  3. Ptarmigan Traverse conditions

Does anybody have a recent conditions report for the glaciers on the Ptarmigan Traverse?
  4. Where oh where did all my sprayers go?

no i'm not
  5. Yikes! Sounds like he was lucky to come out OK. Look forward to hearing about your next adventure!
  6. Beacon

7/22 - day 3 - laps 5-7 - a hat trick on a hottish day, 2 in the sun and the third in the shade the hottest of all w/ numerous half-clad hotties along the way
  7. no FFA nor even 2nd aid ascent yet that i know of - i bet a shiny $2 bill it'll never be entirely freed, particularly pitches 3-6, 9 and 11 a feller did try rappelling the route the other day and came to grief https://q13fox.com/2019/07/20/climber-rescued-from-tower-rock-i-was-probably-gonna-die/ been monkeying around on new things since rapunzel but nothing that can compare in kewlness to tower, it's just so damn big compared to everything else w/n a couple hours drive...
  8. Mountaineering Partners 7/20-7/27

I'm in Bellingham and I'd like to do a similar climb this week. I've also taken Alpinism 1 and 2 and it sounds like we have similar goals and glacier experience. PM me if you're still looking to climb.
  9. question HMG 4400 ice pack vs Osprey Aether Pro

Lol thanks. From all accts here on the durability front I think I will pass. Im not easy on my gear. I tried the UL thing years back. Had a BA Copper Spur. Had a nature call one night, caught a guyline with my foot, and the fly split up a seam. Sent it to BA, they repaired it, and I think its somewhere in Alaska now. Was my last stroll thru the UL world.
  10. Trip: Forbidden Peak - East Ridge Direct Trip Date: 07/22/2019 Trip Report: Today my friend and I climbed the East Ridge Direct on Forbidden Peak 10.5 hours car to car. Spent last night at the trail head and started hiking very early. We got up into the upper basin around 4ish. I love how quick that trail shoots you out above the tree line. The approach was very manageable in the dark. We got up to the lone gendarme on the ridge and did a quick sorting of gear. We simul'd just about all of the route, taking turns leading out simul blocks. I thought the climbing and rock quality to be really good. Especially the 5.7 and 5.8 gendarme pitches along with the knife edge traverse section. We summited at 8:30 and stopped to take a few photos and rig the first rappel to get down to the east ledges. You see a lot of rap tat below you along the way while you're climbing but don't pay attention to any of those. I highly recommend doing exactly 5 single rope rappels that trend slightly east straight down from the summit. This puts you in easier terrain on the east ledges. I've seen a lot of talk about the ledges being terrifying and stressful. While I agree that they can be loose and manky, and you definitely don't want to fall, they were way more mellow than I was expecting. Just take your time and look for the occasional cairn. The decent back down from the start of the ridge to the car felt like it went really quick. This is a stellar route on a classic mountain and we had perfect weather to boot. Awesome day! Gear Notes: Single set of cams from .3 to 2", set of stoppers, 4 draws, 7 double length slings. Approach Notes: Light axe, aluminum crampons, and trail runners worked perfect.
  11. I was up on Pinnacle peak last weekend with my son when a friendly S WA dude said there was this AMAZING thing called Tower rock near Randle that just saw it's first ascent a few years ago, and he heard it had amazing potential for more routes. I looked at Google earth and images online and got interested. Then I went to Mtn Project and found Rapunzel, and that brought me back here to all of your Beowulfian tales @ivan @billcoe. Your immortality is now complete. Any new lines or projects down yonder? Has Adam Ondra done the FFA yet?
  12. Last week
  13. Sounds like you had a classic trip on a classic route. Thanks for the report! You can add photos easily too if you want.
  14. question HMG 4400 ice pack vs Osprey Aether Pro

FYI, HMG knocked $50.00 off the price of their packs.
  15. Trip: Forbidden Peak - West Ridge Trip Date: 07/22/2019 Trip Report: Myself and my climbing partner climbed Forbidden Peak via the West Ridge on Sat/Sun. We ascended through the snow couloir, which seems like it will still be in for at least another week and maybe more. The couloir isn't as steep as I expected, and can be ascended using a normal glacier ice axe. We wore approach shoes with crampons, and that was fine (another team said they used micro spikes for the snow couloir and wished they had crampons). That was the route we descended and it was fast and easy. It took us a while to ascend/descend the ridge because we took an extra cautious approach and belay climbed the ascent (vs simul climbing) and rope rappelled the descent (vs down climbing or simul climbing). We left a few slings for rappels where there wasn't already a belay station setup on the ridge, and let an ascending party know the gear was new and theirs if they wanted it. A few folks at camp reported marmots chewing on tents and packs while people climbed, so we packed up on camp before we left in the morning and covered it all with descent size rocks. To pick up a backcountry permit for Boston Basin, we arrived at the ranger station at 6:25am (opens at 7:00). We were the second group in line and by 6:35am there were another 10-12 parties in line. Make sure you arrive early. Timing Wake-up: 3:00am Leave: 4:00am Arrive at ridge: 7:30am Arrive at summit: 12:30pm Leave Summit: 1:00am Arrive at camp: 7:30pm Arrive at car: 9:30pm Gear Notes: 70 meter rope (long rope helpful for rappels) Cams: .3, .4, .75, 1, 2 Nuts: Standard Slings: 8 singles, 3 doubles (I would do 5 singles and 6 doubles to have more extended clips to reduce rope drag) Crampons Carabiners: Carabiner for each cam and sling, plus 3 for nuts. Harness: I wore my BD couloir. It was great for the ascent and light to pack in. A bit uncomfortable for the rappels, but worth it. Approach Notes: To get from camp to the snow couloir we went climbers right (based on recommendation from another climber at camp), but you have to put on crampons pretty early for a steeper snow section. In hindsight, I would have ascended a little left of the middle, right up the rock slaps.
  16. Dry Tooling At Rocky Butte

Regarding dry tooling at Rocky Butte. I've noticed more and more climbs are being damaged including my favorites vertical therapy, jack of hearts, stain glass and several others. Have we decided that it's OK to destroy all the routes at Rocky Butte. That would be a sad thing. I ran into to a dry tooler yesterday and he seems to think all climbs are available.
  17. question HMG 4400 ice pack vs Osprey Aether Pro

I agree 100% on the McHale packs man. Figured I would throw the CiloGear packs out there and see what kind of response I got on it. Thank you for the input. I'm pretty fixed on the Aether Pro based on the input I am receiving here. Just want to make sure I have looked at every option possible b4 I buy. You all rock. Thank you
  18. question HMG 4400 ice pack vs Osprey Aether Pro

I wouldn't buy a CiloGear pack either. My fully custom McHale pack that I had built in 1997 with the lightest materials available (420 pack cloth) and a small, simple one buckle hip belt from a day packs ("It will work better than a WT Andinista or some such shit" - Dan McHale"). I drug that pack all over Alaska, Canada, and North America. 20 years later it is still in perfect condition. The retail price was $350.00 20 years ago (I paid the friends and family rate of $300). Not expensive considering I fully expect it to last literally for the rest of my life. You would be hard pressed to get two years of hard of climbing out of either an HMG or CiloGear. So, $350.00 for a pack that will last you the rest of your life I don't find expensive. Buying a $350.00 pack every other year, or sooner, is expensive.
  19. Unique report Jeff! Good stuff
  20. Trip: Glacier Peak Wilderness - Dakobed Range Circumnavigation Trip Date: 07/13/2019 Trip Report: Did a nice two day solo circumnavigation of the Dakobed Range. Started at the White River TH, went up the Indian Creek Trail (completely overgrown, nearly impossible to follow) and took the PCT to White Pass. Then went into the Whitechuck Basin, over Kololo Peaks, down the Honeycomb Glacier, beneath Tenpeak into the Napeequa Valley. Bivied this pass before tagging Neyah Point in the morning. Took the brushy trail through the Napeequa and up over Boulder Pass and back to the trailhead. It totaled about 50 miles and 12k ft gain. All but four miles (PCT section) of this route were either off trail or on brushy trail, so the mileage was a little more difficult than one might think. The terrain from Kololo Peaks to the Napeequa was pure magic, some of the most remote, stunning scenery I have ever seen in the Cascades. Nothing about this route is too difficult, but there is substantial low angle glacier travel and a bit of tiring side hilling beneath Tenpeak. https://climberkyle.com/2019/07/13/dakobed-range-circumnavigation/ The off trail section of my route. 8 ft tall brush on the Indian Creek "Trail". Deer near the PCT. Nearing White Pass. Tarn in the Whitechuck Basin. On the Whitechuck Glacier. Honeycomb Glacier. Honeycomb Lake. Tenpeak Tarn. Butterfly Lake and Neyah Point. My bivy at Butterfly Pass. Sunset on Glacier peak and Butterfly Lake. Marine layer flowing over Butterfly Pass into the Napeequa. Dakobed and Tenpeak from Neyah Point. Following the stream into the Napeequa. Cirque of the Butterflies - a truly magical place. The Napeequa River. Grassy meadows don't tell the truth... slide alder! Boulder Basin. Gear Notes: Trail runners and poles. You might want crampons, ice axe, helmet, glacier gear depending on conditions and your safety levels. Approach Notes: Terrible, terrible bushwachking. The Indian Creek Trail was miserable.
  21. Beacon

7/21 - day 2 - laps 3-4 - hey, only 33 more days at this rate to top last year - foiled upon arrival at battle ground lake, i bounced off fallen leaf lake too n' resigned meself to clambering out at beacon - once again the rock all to myself, despite the weekend situation - a lap alone, then another w/ some folks thrashing their way up the original dods exit at the end - summer's halfway home n' i'm still all smiles
  22. Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

Ran into a guy today that had no problem dry tooling any and every rock climb. pretty discouraging.
  23. Drytooling at Rocky Butte

It sure would be nice if dry tool enthusiasts would stay off existing/established climbs at Rocky Butte. Some great climbs like Vertical therapy, Trivial Pursuit and Jack of Hearts have already been damaged. I get that RB is easy access and not pristine but some of us have been climbing there a long time and really enjoy it. Can't you find your own lines?
  24. Beacon

7/20/19 south side day 1 of the year, well after le grande opening i'll grant you as i sallied up n' down the coast courting more arduous adventures - swimming in the olympics, multi-day colonel bob bumblefuck, marriage counselor sheenagins n' regular ole climbing in leavenworth w/ the silvermans shit-talking each other at every turn, then near a week about mt whitney w/ the whiskey hooligans - 2 solo laps in the shade, every hold an old friend and unforgotten - geoff n' kyle n' larry the gnome at the top n' beers n' bullshitting at the base - managed 70 solo laps last summer, so that's 1/35 of the way to repeating that unbelievable total
  25. Here’s a pair of Fabiano, made in Italy, all leather classics in very lightly used condition. – Mid-weight boot with just a little flex by hand at the ball of the foot. - 1 piece all leather suede upper with a glove leather lining. The uppers are without scratches, digs or wear and look in “mint” condition. Lining looks near unworn. – Littleway sole attachment with the heels glued and screwed. – Vibram Rocciablock lug soles with possibly 98% remaining life. Boots may be resoled. – The boots stitching and the lacing hooks are in excellent shape. - Weight is 3lbs 5oz a pair. Asking $95.00, shipped. PPFF or please add the 4% fee if you prefer a goods transaction. Or Venmo payment. According to commentary on Trailspace in March 2007: "Fabiano started as an outgrowth of a shoe repair shop in Boston. The founder was an Italian immigrant bootmaker. He designed a series of boots, mostly leather, that were fabricated to his specifications in Italy, by Scarpa."
  26. Trip: Mountain Loop - Mile High Club Trip Date: 07/20/2019 Trip Report: Finally made it out to climb Mile High Club, and it was a super fun and awesome route!! The update is that it appears that perhaps the intermediate rap station on pitch 3 was hit by rockfall; the chain and rap ring were gone, and one of the bolts is a bit bent and sticking out about a half inch. We were able to use a hefty tree and a boulder to the right to easily downclimb to the big unexposed ledge after coming off rappel, and walking over to the next rap station felt completely fine to us. Views of Glacier and Baker were awesome. The water in the gully is still flowing well. No other parties on the route (unexpected but awesome). Thanks a ton, @Rad and @dberdinka for a super fun route with such a short approach! My partner's knee limited our options to short mileage and elevation gain, and this route was perfect to allow us to do a multipitch to a little summit in an awesome setting ☺ (oh yeah, and it was his first multipitch alpine/alpine-esque route!) I hope more people get on this. Lots of really fun moves! Leading evens or odds, you'll get good climbing! Gear Notes: I appreciated how well-bolted this was. We brought 12 QDs and 3 alpine draws, and that seemed to work well. 70m rope! Approach Notes: Easy
  1. Load more activity