All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Yesterday
  4. For sale is a whole cooking kit. MSR Simmerlite stove, 4 bottles, multiple windscreens and a 1.3L MSR pot. Will not part out. Very little use, just don't need anymore. Asking $120 or about half off of new price and that price includes shipping to the lower 48.
  5. In an avalanche, pull the cord and float down to safety.
  6. Got the Phantom 8000's off of eBay for an upcoming trip but they are a tad small. Size 44 $350 shipped (I'm located in Nashville). Nepal Evo's with plenty of life left. Also size 44. $175 shipped Any questions, let me know. Thanks
  7. Such a great day, thanks for putting this together, Erik!
  8. Mt Hood

Hello! My Wife and I are looking to head up this Sunday morning. Any smaller groups looking for a couple more to join? I've done it before but my wife is a first timer. Thanks, Val
  9. Trip: Mt Hood - NF right gully (IV, AI3+, 50-55 degrees) Trip Date: 04/20/2019 Trip Report: Noah Kimmes, Ben Luedtke and I climbed the right gully on the north face of Mt Hood last Saturday. No issues to speak of on the approach. Glacier travel was very straight forward. We followed the left flank beneath the cliffs. There are a couple WI3-4 flows still in here if you feel like a warm up. We crossed the bergshrund on the far right. Thin ice/crumbly mixed and a bit of overhung snow but it goes. Partially fell through the snow bridge. A short snow ramp above this leads to the first WI2 pitch which we simuled. Rock and ice fall hazard from the cliff face above to the right at this point. Middle snow slope was in great condition. Solo'd with solid boot steps and good sticks in the icier sections. Exit ice pitch at just below 11,000' went at WI3+. Ice was a bit thin and aerated but solid enough. Lots of features for feet. Good screws on the pitch but anchor was tough. Chopped through snice to thin ice for a stubby, got a decent 13 and a buried tool. Snow was a bit deeper from here to the saddle at Cathedral Spire (amazing position). More of the same booting to the top. Summit cornice was minor to nonexistent. Super fun route! Definitely my new favorite on Hood. Full story forthcoming on erikofthemountain.com Cheers! Approach to Eliot Glacier. Noah leading an ice pitch on the approach. Crossing the bergshrund. Snow right above the WI2 pitch. A look down the middle snow section. Lots and lots of front pointing with epic views. The upper part of the center snow section. The upper ice pitch. The crew! Cathedral spire from near the summit. The summit block. Gear Notes: What we used: 1/10, 4/13cm screws & 1 picket (tool belays most effective) What we brought: 1/10cm, 4/13cm, 2/17cm, 0.4, 0.5, a few nuts & 2 pickets Approach Notes: Left TH at 3:00am. We could skin from the gate but had to boot a couple dirt sections.
  10. What hapened with the site?

I really hope this can be fixed. There are TONS of trip reports prior to the site change where the photos no longer show up, including ones where the pics were hosted in the cc.com gallery. I know it can't be fixed for non-existent sites, but if the photos were on cc.com then hopefully it can get corrected.
  11. Trip: Mt. Hood - Devils Kitchen Headwall Trip Date: 04/20/2019 Trip Report: I probably should have posted this a few days ago, but oh well, better late than never. For all you Hood-rats, the mountain is in great shape. Had a friend go up the North face on the same day and it was great. He also sent a few photos, and the ice on the Elliot and it’s looking super fat! Back to the route I climbed. Conditions were looking good during the week, so I decided to make the quick trip up to Hood. The plan was climb Devils Kitchen Headwall and get some nice aerobic work in. I got to the lot with a rain sleet mix and the temp hovering right around 33/32. I was hopeful that as I gained some altitude, either Id be above the clouds or it would turn to snow. I started at 3:30 from Timberline, I cruised past the Mile and the clouds stayed low and the precip stopped around 6500ft. I made it up to Palmer in less than an hour and a half. Once above the clouds, I turned my headlamp off and the glow of the moon lit the way. Saw a giant group of 10+ skiers coming down at about 4:30, which was a little odd, but I just assumed they were going for a midnight ride which they were. At this point, just above Palmer, putting crampons on, I realized that I was going to be climbing the headwall in the dark so I slowed down the pace a little. I’ll also note that the snow was pretty firm, but not icy. There was only one other person in front of me and lots of little white dots following behind, a very peaceful morning. There was no wind up above Palmer and that held true all the way to the summit. I got to the Hogsback right at sunrise and rested below the route while the sun rose. I’ve never climbed this route before so in prep, I’d read a bunch of old TR and checked the guide book just to make sure I know what I’m getting into. At the base of the route, I inspected it from below and it looked stellar so I continued up. Anyone else like to get artsy mid route, I must be the only one Also being solo added another layer of delicacy, so I was in no rush once I got into the technical stuff. The ice itself was stellar, there was only one section that was a little thin, but I could always swing into the rime and it would hold pretty well. There was also no spindrift coming down the chute, so that was quite nice. On some older TRs there was some exposed rock probably near middle/ bottom, not quite sure, but when I was up there, it was all filled in. Right before the crux section, I took a quick break and the barfies ensued. That was not a fun 2 minutes. The final crux section was in super fat, it would definitely take screws. It was a little brittle, but once a pick was in, it was super solid. Topped out that final couloir or whatever you want to call it and found steep snow all the way to the top. Route finding was not hard at all on the upper portion. From the base of the route to the summit was under an hour and made it to the top around 8. I could have descended via Pearly Gates, but there were a few groups at the base so I opted to go down the Old Chute. It was in prime condition for skiing and I was able to plunge step all the way back to the Hogsback. I’ll also note that the bergschrund around the base of the Old Chute was fully filled in, no signs of it even being there. Rested at the Hogsback right as the masses arrived to the fumaroles. I took my crampons off at the top of Palmer and found some soft snow to walk through back to the bottom. The snow around the Mile was already turning to corn around 9:30 and the skiers were heading up in full force. I think there was some skimo race happening later in the day. Was back in the car, leaving the lot by 10am. C2C was something around 6 hours. Not sure how conditions are going to change this week, but the route was in excellent condition. Gear Notes: you could bring screws/ rope if you want em Approach Notes: straight forward
  12. Alpine Dads wanted

That is what drove me to do stuff like climb the full NR of Forbidden CTC in 14 hours, or the Coleman Headwall in 10. Easy to get a day off, make as much of it as possible.
  13. [TR] Sahale Peak - Sahale Arm 04/20/2019

I would have added pics, but I didn't take any. I have so many pictures of the mountains, and my partners are not handsome enough. I believe it is pretty easy though.
  14. Last week
  15. I'm looking to buy a pair of the older/discontinued Adidas Terrex Pro sunglasses. They are the model that have the nose guard and the temples can be pulled off and replaced with an elastic strap. If anyone has a pair that's not being used, I would like to buy them. Mine fell out of my pack this winter in the Rockies. I've never found a pair of glasses that fit my face as well as the ATPs so I'm looking to replace them. Please PM me if you have a pair to sell. Thanks
  16. [TR] Dragontail Peak - Triple couloirs 03/31/2019

That is surprisingly bare for this time of year @specialforest. Must have been cooking!
  17. [TR] Dragontail Peak - Triple couloirs 03/31/2019

There was not much ice at all.
  18. Greetings! Cleaning out the garage and its time for some stuff to go! Let me know if you have any questions about the following... La Sportiva Spitfire AT Ski boot, mondo 265 - $300 MSR Snowshoes - $50 (2) 22cm black diamond ice screws - $30 each Black Diamond quick draw probe tour 240 - $40 Arva Evo 3+ Avalanche Beacon - $150 Black Diamond cyborg crampons & bag - $100
  19. Hey all, A local Bellingham nonprofit, Vamos Outdoors Project, is holding an online auction, and FF down booties are one of the items. There are some REI tents/sleeping bag/pad as well. Lots of local art and brewery goodies. Feel free to check it out! www.32auctions.com/Vamosoutdoorsproject2019 Vamos Outdoors Project (VOP) works to create opportunities for Latinx and English Language Learner youth to participate in environmental education and other recreation activities. We also work with local outdoors organizations to help them connect with the Latinx/ELL population. VOP incorporated in April 2018, here we are one year in! We are serving over 40 youth in our current programming , and have worked with over 60 throughout the past year. We also work with families, holding outreach sessions and community education events about the benefits of healthy lifestyles and the outdoors. We are a volunteer dependent organization, our work depends on the long term commitment of volunteers to help run programming and build positive relationships with the youth. If you know a Vamos volunteer, give them a big thanks! We are based out of Bellingham, Washington. If this seems inappropriate for CascadeClimbers, I can take it down. I received great support last time I connected with people here, so hoping it works again! Andy
  20. Long snowy approaches - equipment recs???

Mountaineering in the cascades: Dec-March: Resort skiing, maybe ice climbing, very wet hikes. March-June: Volcano climbs and back country ski tours/ascents. Often long approaches. July-October: Cascade rock and high routes. November: Stay home and drink beer.
  21. Ultimate Lib Bell group enchainment?

Lexington and Concord both seem to make more sense going north to south, as there are straightforward rap stations on their south faces. When I did it, we started with the Beckey Route, climbed routes on the two north faces, then did the chockstone route on NEWS and finished with the south arete on SEWS. What would probably be the best true traverse but also a much bigger day would be the NW face of liberty bell, the two north face routes, northwest corner on NEWS, rap the chockstone route, and finally up the southwest rib and down the soiuth arete of SEWS. You can't read the whole thing unless youre a member, but the supertopo page has some great beta. The useful stuff is about rapping off of lexington and concord which is before it gets cut off.
  22. Long snowy approaches - equipment recs???

If you want rock climbing objectives in good shape in the Cascades, this is a tough time of year. July, however, is primo.
  23. Long snowy approaches - equipment recs???

You can always get a cheap pair of bindings and cut the highback down to the right height for your boots. I did that to make my board "cool" back in the 90's.
  24. Long snowy approaches - equipment recs???

Thanks Needtoclimb (and everyone else). Seems understanding the real conditions is the key (deep snow v. boot-tracked, etc.). My entire question stemmed from the disappointment of finding last summer, during the last week of May, that many objectives I had in mind for me and my 16 year old on a three week trip were basically off the table because of road closures (Sahale, for example, where the road was closed 6 miles before the trailhead!). We didn't realize how much snow would still be there east of the crest end of May & early June. Even when we climbed S Early Winter Spire on June 2nd, we found ourselves post-holing wallowing in deep snow, with very little boot tracks to follow. Add to that a last Xmas trip with a 2 hour snowshoe to get to a climb of a mixed route couloir on Broken Top in Oregon, which was my first such - and hopefully my last - long snowshoe approach and hike out (it was awful!). So I've had in my that head skis or something else like drift boards were the answer (and probably are given conditions?), but now I'm not so sure. I'm guessing the best advice is to call the area Ranger's office to get a clear scoop on approach conditions for any climb?
  25. Long snowy approaches - equipment recs???

My story: I used to ski a lot as a teenager, but then got out of it for a while. After climbing Hood and Helens and hiking all the way down in boots, I decided that I was done hiking down snow. I picked up some AT skis and never looked back. I use skis mainly to make the descent faster, even if that means they are on my back most of the way up. Also, they give me good flotation when needed. Look at Facebook grouips "PNW Ski Classified" and "Washington Hikers and Climbers Gear Swap." I am not a fan of Facebook, but it seems that more and more stuff is moving away from forums and going there to sell. A good forum for AT gear is https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/9-Gear-Swap-(List-View). You can pick up a used set of skis, bindings and boots for pretty cheap. For a first set, you can pick up a whole set up for under $500 if you look long enough. I have a pair of Scarpa F1's that walk like a dream. They feel like a slipper. Even my ten year old AT boots walked very well. I covered many miles of road and dirt in them. Another option that I often employ if I have road or dirt walking is to wear running shoes and carry the boots attached to the skis. So much more comfortable. As said above, I also tailor my outing to the approach. If there is enough snow to skin up and ski out, the rock might still be too wet or covered. Also, if there is that much snow, roads are usually closed miles before hand (8-mile road) and I don't want to shlep all that rock gear and deal with snow in the cracks of the rock, and post-holing all the way down. I will wait until it melts out to do long rock excursions. I break my AT ski season into three categories: Winter outings where I want to get into the back country, but nothing so daunting to risk avalanches. These can be tours off of the passes, side-routes on Mt. Rainier, etc. Less focus on peak bagging or climbing, more focus on just getting out for the day. Spring ascents of peaks where skis give me flotation and quick access down. Stuff where the roads are still closed. Sahale is a great example, walk on the closed road until snow, then skin up and ski down. Ski's give me greater access and speed that boots and snowshoes. This category only lasts a month or two until the roads open and the trails melt out enough that i can boot up. Ski-specific outings: These are spring/summer ascents where half the ascent will be on foot, the other half on skins, and ski down a few thousand feet before having to boot again. All the volcanoes fall into this category, and tours up Muir snow field and Heliotrope ridge for exercise. I am taking the skis for the purpose of skiing.
  26. [TR] North Early Winters Spire - Early Winter Couloir (III AI3 M4+) 04/20/2019

Thanks Jason, seems like C-W is best done very early on a cloudy day. DPS, sounds sporty! I was very relieved when I saw we’d be able to sneak past the cornice.
  1. Load more activity