All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. review Denali - Ski Boot Help

I 2nd sticking to your current boot. It's not like you will be camping at 20,000.. You are just going up and down.
  3. review Denali - Ski Boot Help

Thanks guys.....it's a tough call. I've never had swelling issues on Rainier or the Colorado 14,000 peaks. I made it to 17,500' in Mexico and didn't have problem either. Starting to think I should just stick with my normal size
  4. Previous generation Bionic jacket, retailed for approximately $150.00. This is near new and at $34.00 not such a loss if used hard and without worry. Shipping included. Paypal - Send funds via Friends and Family or please add 4% if you prefer a "goods" payment. Or Venmo The North Face Apex Bionic XL Softshell Jacket. A burly, fairly thick soft shell jacket lined with midweight fleece. Outer is 96% polyester, 4% elastane for stretch, 100% polyester fleece interior. Velcro closure at the cuffs, zippered hands and a chest pocket, hem draw cord. Practically new without flaws or stains. Asking $34.00, shipped.
  5. Beacon

11/20 - day 65, laps 151-152 - sunday solid rain n' monday too, but tuesday was chilly-cloud fog all day and nothing more, slightly stirred by a light n' limp breeze - it all amounted to that awesome annual wormageddon, a holocaust of writhing nematodes all played out upon the hardtop of the morning parking lot, where every foolish footstep portends an unending stay in buddha hell - word came from the beacon-wand though that wednesday might support an assault, and so after a sun as strong as this time of year can afford and a piercing chill breeze to boot, i got all hot n' giddy n' bolted from work early enough to get a 2-spot before the sun went down - laps alone in the cool n' damp n' a sighing, surging wind - strangers emerged from messing around with iron maiden after dark n' dave stopped by for a chat as well - the dream don't die if'n you won't let it?
  6. Mt Hood

I don’t have any decent pics from the other weekend but the south side is just as easy as normal to get down.
  7. [TR] Big Bear! - Brushtissima 11/11/2019

Ok party people, finally added captions to this and the Liberty TR!
  8. Last week
  9. idea Playing Cards For Cimbing

Thank you! mthorman. I am up to having 62 decks sold. Your support is really appreciated.
  10. Mt Hood

This late season photo is the one that I am referencing - it seems that there is a large schrund underneath the old chute which is typically filled in but could be exposed late season. I was worried about taking a fall into it on the descent if a shallow snow bridge were to form over it
  11. review Denali - Ski Boot Help

Wildsnow.com had some detailed Denali ski planning posts from 2018 and 2019 that might be worth reading, sounds like some like bigger boots and some made due with 40 below overboots or similar. It does depend on your feet, overboots won’t help if you don’t have enough circulation.
  12. Mt Hood

I am not aware of a bergschrund forming beneath the old chute so you shouldn't have issues descending there. One almost surely extends under the Pearly Gates right now and might be easy to cross or end run but I'd avoid a downclimb of that if you haven't looked or don't get a report. There is likely an open 'schrund at the head of the Reid right now, as well as other open cracks. If you go up the Reid post a TR, I'd love to see what it looks like this early.
  13. Mt Hood

Was the schrund exposed under the old chute on the South side? If so, how exposed was it - and would you expect a snow bridge over it with the incoming snow? I am planning to use it as a descent from either Cooper Spur or Reid Headwall next week, and wanted to get an idea as to the risk involved (or if I should descend Cooper Spur instead).
  14. Hi there, My name is Gobind, I'm 22 years old, and I've been climbing for a little under a year. I currently climb around 5.9-5.10 in the gym and have lead 5.5 outdoors. I'm looking for a partner who I could climb with maybe a few times a week at Crux Rock Gym in Eugene OR (or get on some real rock when the weather is nice at The Columns, Flagstone, or Smith). My main goal currently is to gain more experience leading (and falling on lead). I also would like to get into trad climbing, but only have sport climbing equipment at the moment. If you're looking for a climbing partner who will actually come through and not bail then look no further. I hope to see some of you out there at the crag in the future! Best, Gobind
  15. [TR] Big Bear! - Brushtissima 11/11/2019

Stellar photos!! Way to avoid the line up on Eldo ;D
  16. review Denali - Ski Boot Help

Being strong enough to climb/ski to the summit from 14k and going in June would lead you towards not needing overboots. If the weather is unsettled and especially cold they would be useful. Are you planning on climbing via the orient and skiing? If so i don't think it'd be reckless to not bring them. If things get grim and cold it doesn't take that long to ski back to camp. Have your feet ever swelled on long days before to the point where you'd want a half size bigger boot? Are your current boots too tight for 10k foot days? How many consecutive jump turns can you do with a ball gag in your mouth? These are the questions to ask yourself.
  17. review Denali - Ski Boot Help

Thanks DoStuff, I'll be wearing the ski boots all the way to the summit. Not planning to bring any other mountaineering boots.
  18. n/a

Please delete
  19. [TR] Big Bear! - Brushtissima 11/11/2019

I daresay right in the middle of the slabbage patch. Looks grrrrreat!
  20. review Denali - Ski Boot Help

I don't know about the Spectre, but the Scarpa Maestrale RS will be my choice and should be plenty warm for up to 14K. There is also something called a DryGuy BootGlove, which is just an adjustable neoprene cover similar, but not as effective, to an overboot. I have one, but haven't used it yet, however the reviews are good and it looks like it will help. I don't think your foot is going to swell that much, if any, on Denali especially only up to 14k.
  21. review Denali - Ski Boot Help

Hello, I plan to climb Denali this June, we are bringing skis to 14camp, still undecided if we'll bring them higer and ski the Orient. I've been seeing recommendations of buying a full shell size larger in the ski boots to allow for feet to swell at altitude. Would anyone recommend this? Seems like a waste as they won't fit here in Colorado and I will not be able to use them after this trip. Same problem with the overboots. With a full shell size larger, do people get the Intuition liners a full size larger too? I am normally a size 26 in ski boots. Any specific recommendations on ski boots? La Sportiva has a sale right now so I'm looking at the Spectre thanks!
  22. It seems like you're looking for the Ascendant jacket from Outdoor Research. It has soft Polartec Alpha pile facing the body with air gaps and is covered by a pertex shell. Since getting one it's become one of my favorite cozy jackets both in the mountains and around town.
  23. 2019/2020 OR/WA Ice Conditions

Any updates on the Enchaments zone?
  24. [TR] Quartz Mountain - Training Day 08/24/2019

Isn't the photo's saying pitch 12 and 13 the same photo area? looking in reverse?
  25. Moderately used, MH waterproof/breathable shell. Ripstop nylon pullover with 1/2 length zipper. Size Large but works as a generous medium. - Hood rolls down and secures with Velcro. - Zippered hand pockets. - Fleece lined at the chin. - Waist and hem draw cords. - Articulated sleeves. - There are a few pulls on the left sleeve near the cuff to which I have applied Tenacious Tape. - Some dirt stains at bottom of the zipper that I haven't tried to remove. - Weight is 13oz. Overall the shell is in good and clean condition. Asking $38.00 shipped.
  1. Load more activity