The Petzl Nomic and Black Diamond Fusion (2009/2010 green model) are among the highest quality ice tools available on the market today. Both of these tools have been designed to perform well in both ice climbing and rock/mixed climbing and they climb very similar to each other. In fact, if you hold one tool above the other, you’ll notice that their geometries are nearly identical (see picture below). The purpose of this review is to objectively compare the two tools and describe their subtle differences. I shall try to keep subjective comments to a minimum, as each climber is different and requires different characteristics and features from their ice tools.
Search Gear Prices
Recent Blog Posts
- [TR] Mt. Daniel - Daniel and Lynch Glaciers 07/06/2020 July 9, 2020Trip: Mt. Daniel - Daniel and Lynch Glaciers Trip Date: 07/06/2020 Trip Report: I had a great couple of days out in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness with my skis, getting about 3800' skiing, a new summit, blue skies, and lots of peace and quiet. Scatter Creek was still flowing enough that I didn't want to […]
- [TR] Corax Peak - North Face 07/05/2020 July 8, 2020Trip: Corax Peak - North Face Trip Date: 07/05/2020 Trip Report: Not a single TR for this route to be found anywhere; does everyone just do the scramble to tick off their Bulger lists? Rolf and I climbed the NF of Corax Peak this weekend, 6 pitches of 5.7 starting from the left side of […]
- [TR] Mt. Rainier - Tahoma Glacier 07/03/2020 July 8, 2020Trip: Mt. Rainier - Tahoma Glacier Trip Date: 07/03/2020 Trip Report: The Tahoma Glacier piqued my interest the last couple seasons as I explored new routes for my next Mt. Rainier climb. The low starting elevation, long approach, and remoteness of the route was especially appealing to me. Covering that distance and elevation on a […]
- [TR] Mount Formidable - South Route 07/05/2020 July 7, 2020Trip: Mount Formidable - South Route Trip Date: 07/05/2020 Trip Report: YouTube video (FYI - mistyped the date in the video splash screen - its July 4-6, not June) We had a Fri-Sun trip planned but switched to Sat-Mon due to the weather. Good call as one day either way would have been a no-go. […]
- [TR] Big Chiwaukum and Snowgrass Mountain - Standards 07/04/2020 July 7, 2020Trip: Big Chiwaukum and Snowgrass Mountain - Standards Trip Date: 07/04/2020 Trip Report: With some forecasts looking meh on the observed Friday holiday my son and I opted for a more certain forecast in the Chiwaukums and a 2-day trip. Smoots are always a great Plan B. We car camped at the White Pine TH […]