[TR] Mt. Baker - Coleman/Demming 8/18/2010

Bronco

Trip: Mt. Baker - Coleman/Demming

Date: 8/18/2010

Trip Report:

Juan and I snuck in a day climb of Mt. Baker on Wednesday. Forgot a hat and my scalp is sunburned to an uncomfortable degree. Little over 10 hours car to car on the Coleman Deming route. Some inconsiderate folks have dropped blue bags of poo into the creek just below high camp. :anger: I fished them out but need to remember to bring an empty gallon ziplock bag for hauling garbage like that out when I encounter it on these more popular routes. Some crevasses are opening up on the standard boot pack necessitating some endruns and "route finding". Picked up some other strange garbage from high on the route (packaging from a down comforter at 9,000'?). Summitted at about noon. Descent was quick, near the high camp someone asked us if we were "professionals" despite not having walkie talkies so we must have looked pretty good. :rolleyes: Juan executed an unanticipated but well timed hop over a pretty big crack as we glissaded down the final snow field. He also entertained us by asking hikers if they’d seen “the bear”. The look on their faces was priceless. :lmao: Great day in the mountains.

Cell phone photo of Juan on the top.

IMG00148-20100818-1126_9_.jpg

Gear Notes:

Standard glacier gear but no walkie talkies. Forgot my gaitors but was ok, not much snow to contend with.

Approach Notes:

My headlamp batteries died 1/4 mile in so I hiked by braile until it was light. I sure like hiking in my trail runners and changing to boots at the snow. 2 hours in to high camp.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ryan Canfield: We did not ski but did keep a steady pace. 10 hours felt pretty comfortable, not sore at all, except my sunburned scalp.

@Juan: bear tracks indeed, :lmao: I'm going to find you some pictures of a grizzly to load on your phone for next time.

Bear_Attack.jpg