[TR] Mt. Buckner - North Face 7/10/2010

Bronco

Trip: Mt. Buckner - North Face

Date: 7/10/2010

Trip Report:

Mr. Goodtime aka Juan Sharp and I met in downtown Everett at 4:15 am on Saturday and drove to the Boston Basin TH while slurping coffee and Gatorade. This would be my first return to the Cascades since returning from several years in Montana. I was a bit nervous that I would slow the pace but we seemed to be pretty evenly matched middle aged beer gut deskjockey dads. We were on the trail by 6:50am and made good time to the notch near Shark Fin Col. Conditions were good, not as soft as we had anticipated on the Boston Glacier and we continued a good pace to the foot of the face. IMGP3277.JPG

We intended to checkout the N. Couloir but realized we were already part way up the N. Face route and decided unrope, get out the crampons and second tool and continue.

Soft snow provided secure steps and plunging on the route, sticking to the left side of the face we quickly ascended to the rock band about half way up. Some easy rock moves put us on the upper snow field and access to the summit at about 4:00 pm. One of the most stunning days of weather I’ve ever seen.

We were glad to find a small waterfall a short ways down from the summit to rehydrate our dried up bodies. I know I consumed 8 liters of fluids and was still a full 5lbs lighter the morning after. It was definitely hot up there on Saturday.

We tried to move quickly and completely missed the trail to Cascade Pass at the bottom of Sahale Arm. We ended up linking brush belays through a cliff band to gain the bottom of the valley and hike back up to Cascade Pass on the trail from Stehekin. We made the pass just as the sun set and discussed taking a direct “path” to the parking lot but decided that we should stick to the demoralizing trail in the darkness. We arrived at the car at 11:00pm. What a fun day in the mountains! Not sure how many miles we covered but it sure seemed like a lot.

I'll add some more photos once the que is processed.

Gear Notes:

Glacier gear, gu, sun screen,second axe and crampons.

Approach Notes:

We used the notch about 100m closer to Sharkfin than the notch described in Nelson's book to access the Boston Glacier. This allowed us to use a 50m rope.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah! It's all part of the sandbagging routine noted by Kyle Flick elsewhere. No, seriously, the back issues are resolved for now so I'm trying to get out here and there as time (and a very generous wife) allows. Bronco and I had a fine time and would recommend the route to anyone who likes a good snow climb. The notch we took to get onto the Boston Glacier beats Sharkfin Col -- I've used it twice and it is easy.

• 5 weeks later...
Hah! It's all part of the sandbagging routine noted by Kyle Flick elsewhere. No, seriously, the back issues are resolved for now so I'm trying to get out here and there as time (and a very generous wife) allows. Bronco and I had a fine time and would recommend the route to anyone who likes a good snow climb. The notch we took to get onto the Boston Glacier beats Sharkfin Col -- I've used it twice and it is easy.

Hi Juan,

I imagine it's snow-level dependent?

Thanks for the beta,

goatboy

Edited by goatboy