[TR] Colchuck - NorthFace/NBC 6/30/2010

Trip: Colchuck - NorthFace/NBC

Date: 6/30/2010

Trip Report:

north face colchuck, PICTURE FROM APRIL 20102197040640103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

^^^picture is from april, but coverage yesterday was still FAT!

I had climbed and skiied Colchuck's North Buttress Couloir back in March - unaware that there was a sick face above. Weather this spring has not yeilded a good corn cycle in the local area thus far, the snow I skiied yesterday was almost corn, close enough, and it probably will be gone-melted within a week.

I left around 8am with cloudy sky's overhead, the FR level overnight had been forecasted to be under 6k, and it felt like it. Knowing that any snow above would be well morphed by M/F cycles, and the route being multi-aspected, I knew I needed warmer temps and SUN. I waited on a rocky bench over looking the Stuart Range for several hours - drifting in and out of slumber - as the clouds slowly gave way. Temps warmed quickly, snowline started on the far bank of the lake.

Low in the couloir, I encountered a rock step, which required some trickyish moves esp. with skis, then found continous snow to the col, albeit with some minor runnels. The traverse to the face was almost entierly snow. The face held excellant corn/proto corn. I found icy/firm conditions up high in the little gully connecting the top of the face to the summit region.

My video speaks well for my descent.

2684365630103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

[video:youtube]

drop'n the couloir

2428074010103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

rappin the rock step with webbing and a munter hitch

2245368580103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

the upper face

2710676110103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right on, Dan, dig that line. We noticed it looked nicely skiable when up there last weekend to climb NE Buttress on Colchuck. Should've brought skis too.

and thanks telemarker, I was trying to remember the name of that feature...hard to believe someone would BASE off that thing!

Dan if you left your helmet on the route, we found it. The Couloir was fun to climb, but looked scary steep and narrow in places for skiing. I still have trouble wrapping my mind around anyone wanting to go down stuff like that where falling is not an option. The upper North face seemed more appealing as a ski since it was more open and still held nice corn snow.