[TR] Colchuck - NE Buttress (Kearny) 7/26/2009

jordansahls

Trip: Colchuck - NE Buttress (Kearny)

Date: 7/26/2009

Trip Report:

The weather looked to be on the fence again this last weekend, it seems that my good luck streak is still rolling, as we had no problems excepts a few menacing looking clouds that decided to blow out as soon as they came in.

my friend, Brian, and I decided to drive up and sleep at the Stuart Lake trail head Saturday night. We rolled in around 11 and set up the tent. We talked about what time to get up. I thought, that with the possibility of afternoon thunderstorms, that we should get up around 3, that way we would be on the route no later than 6. We both groaned at the thought of getting up that early, and eventually decided to say "to hell with the weather forecast", and I set the alarm for 4:30am.

Everything looked nice early Sunday morning, we packed up and started moving. We reached the lake around 7, and were at the base of the route at 8ish. We decided to bring our ice axes, but leave our crampons and boots at home. One looking up at the col made me start to regret that decision. It looked like it had an ice sheet crossing the whole width of the couloir. "what do you think" I asked Brian, "Looks shitty" was his response. Oh well, we both agreed that there was bound to be some spot to pass, so we put it from out minds at that time.

Anyway, we had heard that getting on to the Kearny variation can be a pain at certain times of the year due to a large moat. lucky us, We had a nice little snow bridge that gave us safe passage.

Instead of writing about the climb, I think I will let the pictures do the talking. Lets just say that with the exception of maybe 1 loose pitch, the climb is solid, beautiful, and lots of fun.

Icy col

Colchuck_glacier3.jpg

the NEB

Colchuck_NEB.jpg

Up up and away!

Jordan_start.jpg

Kerchow!

Jordan_pitch1long.jpg

jordan_pitch1short.jpg

Brian on pitch 2

Brian_pitch2.jpg

exiting onto the class 4 ledges (this is were the Kearny route and the Beckey route meet up)

jordan_pitch3.jpg

pitch 5ish, I stopped counting at this point.

Brian_pitch5.jpg

the slabs, very few holds, and even less pro.

slabclimbing.jpg

exiting onto the ridge proper.

brian_toridge.jpg

running belay to the top.

runing_belay.jpg

Less than flattering rock star summit pose attempt (fail).

summit8.jpg

Heading down was a little interesting, but we found that we could follow the moat that hugged the Colchuck side of the col which eventually lead us to a rap anchor that got us around the icy section.

It took us 10 hrs from the lake to the top, which is a little slow (if you haven't guessed that already). We ended up slowing ourselves down a bit with a few route finding errors, and some poor gear placements that caused serious rope drag, which resulted in shorter pitches. A smart party should have no problem doing this route in 7 to 8 hrs.

All in all, it was tons of fun. The route boasts lots of clean granite, engaging route finding (at least for us), and a whole variety of rock, everything from splitter hand cracks, to friction slabs. Go out and get it done!

sunset5.jpg

Gear Notes:

Medium rack with doubles in the 1-2.5" range, a few bigger pieces helped out a lot (we brought a Metolius medium super cam, 2 would have been nice).

Approach Notes:

Follow the trail.

Edited by jordansahls

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic