[TR] Shuksan - NW Rib 7/11/2009

jordansahls

Trip: Shuksan - NW Rib

Date: 7/11/2009

Trip Report:

Well, the weather report was a bit conflicted, but that didn't stop me and Stanislav from getting out. The original plan was to approach and camp Friday night on the top of the Fischer Chimneys, then climb the NE Rib and NW Arete on Saturday, then climb the NW Arayete on Sunday. Anyway, that didn't happen. We ended up just climbing the NW Rib in a day, which was enough in my opinion. All in all, it took us 17 hrs round trip. Enough with the boring details, here are some pics.

chimney shinannigans

P1000097.jpg

Down climbing the Whinney's slide route (White Salmon Glacier?) sucked a fat one. Soft enough to ball up on your crampons, but hard enough to make plunge stepping a worthless proposition.

P1000099.jpg

Low on the Route

P1000122.jpg

Hanging glacier goodness

P1000144.jpg

High on the Route

P1000167.jpg

We spent a few minutes lounging on the top of the route, but eventually decided that a beer sounded really good, so we marched our asses down. We had spent about 4 hrs on the route. All in all, the climb is mostly a scramble with a fair amount of low 5th class interspersed throughout. With the exception of one 5.7 pitch (sorry, no pictures) we soloed the whole thing. Its a long route at 2000 feet from the base to the top.Not to much more to say, I thought it was a fun route but I don't think I will be going back to do it again any time soon.

P1000178.jpg

Gear Notes:

Small stoppers and cams in the 1" to 2" range should do you just fine. However, the 5.7 pitch ate pieces into the 3" range, which I didn't expect for the type of rock we were on.

Approach Notes:

Approached via the Fischer Chimneys

Edited by jordansahls

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there is a little bit of snow in the Chimneys, but nothing that gets in the way. The packs weren't a big problem, annoying, but very manageable.

The route is very interesting, but by no means is it a classic. I will say that the views and the vantage point are very distinct from most any other route I have climbed on Shuksan. If you have climbed most all of the other classics, this one is a good one to go do.