[TR] Spider and Magic - South Face sort of 7/4/2009

Le Piston

Trip: Spider and Magic - South Face sort of

Date: 7/4/2009

Trip Report:

My friend Rod had one last Ptarmigan Traverse peak left to bag and convinced me to go with him instead of heading for a rematch with Spickard. It is a beautiful area, so the arm twisting was minimal. The snow conditions on the hike in were pretty nice.IMG_0861.JPG We took a short break at Cache Col and then descended to Kool Aide lake and set up a sweet camp near the outlet (running water beats melting snow any day)IMG_0894.JPGWe saw a grizzly about 200 yards below our camp, which was really cool. We were soon joined by Haley and Valerie, who came in to climb Formidable. I was smitten by Formidable and wished I was going there...what a beautiful peak!IMG_0929.JPGIMG_0938.JPG But, I was in to climb Spider with my friend and didn't want to let him down. I thought the trip was over in the morning, as I ate some bad peanut butter on my English Muffins and puked three times on the way to the Red Ledges.IMG_0949.JPG Once past the ledges my stomach seemed to settle down so we pressed on to the Spider/Formidable col following Haley and ValerieIMG_0957.JPG We dropped down and headed for what we thought was the Southeast Gulley on Spider. We ended up going up the South face on steep snow and horrible rock to the long ridgeIMG_0981.JPGIMG_0985.JPG The traverse was airy and a little spooky with all the holds suspect. The summit was awesome though, with killer views. The last register entry was 2006. Names like Skoog (multiple times), Viesturs, and Klenke caught my eye.IMG_1010.JPGIMG_0975.JPG Now the fun part came...descending was downright scary. The gulley was slimy, loose, and steep. I felt great relief when I was able to traverse over to 50 degree snow to downclimb.IMG_1014.JPGIMG_1016.JPG I've never been happier to get to level ground before...I was totally gripped. We ran into the girls on their way back from Formidable. It was a long slog back to the Red Ledges, but the snow was still in good shape...though the tracks were pretty meltedIMG_1044.JPG We came back to goats in the campIMG_1144.JPGThe following day we went up and I climbed Magic. My friend waited on the false summit and let me solo to the true summit.IMG_1110.JPG We came back down to more goats, packed up, and headed to the land of cold drinks and burgers. I hope to go back for Formidable some day...what a beautiful areaIMG_1148.JPG

Gear Notes:

I wished I had 2 tools for the steep snow, but made do with an axe and picket. No rock pro needed, as there isn't enough solid rock for more than psychological pro.

Approach Notes:

Some breaking through snow into rocks above Cascade Pass. Otherwise conditions were great for approach.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Likewise I enjoyed meeting you and Haley. I was truly sorry you didn't summit Formidable and wished Rod was into repeating it...Formidable looks like a much nicer climb. Thanks for the steps by the way...much appreciated on the way out. I got tons of pictures, even some panoramas (which I will include) Good luck on your next climbing project! Cheers!Panorama_17.JPG

Likewise, it was great having you and "The Oracle" around to give us some pointers and share steps! Valerie and I are already trying to talk ourselves into giving Formidable another try. Here's a photo of when we met up at the col (strange that we came back to that spot at the exact same time after 8 hours, huh?).

2767909550103926705S600x600Q85.jpg

I hope you guys make it back in there. If the "Oracle" was more open to repeating climbs I'd try to arrange a rematch with someone who's climbed it before. Spider was the last of the Ptarmigan Traverse peaks he wanted to climb. Formidable is beautiful...I'd have rather done it than Spider.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice climb, thanks for stoke.

I (one of many) worked for the FS in 04 in the Bob Marshel Montana area on a grizz survey project - best job i've had, anyway we got edjumacted real good about the differances between blacks/grizzs. Grizz have a dished in face, blacks have a sloped forhead/head, grizz have small rounded ears, blacks ears are larger/pointier. Too bad you didn't see the tracks - that is is the easy giveaway - blacks have small claws and their toes form sort of an arc/semi circle around there foot pad, while grizzes claws are fkn HUGE, and they have a fairly straight toe profile relative to thier pad. I'd be stoked to see grizzes make a comeback in the cascades - this place with all its rugged and raw wild deserves to be gaurded by the king of beasts.

• 2 weeks later...