[TR] Prusik Peak - West Ridge 6/20/2009

spotly

Trip: Prusik Peak - West Ridge

Date: 6/21/2009

Trip Report:

I was going to climb Prusik Peak last week when no permits were required but the forecast didn't look promising. Brian and I decided to give it another shot Saturday so we packed our gear and headed to the trailhead Friday after work. We threw out the bivy bags and tried to get a few hours sleep before starting but the folks next to us decided to stay up all night slamming their doors - ah, TH camping at its finest. We hit the trail about 4:15 and set a good pace to Colchuck Lake.

As we headed up Aasgard, we kept an eye on the weather. Clouds seemed to surround the Enchantments but were being held at bay by Dragontail and Little Annapurna. We kept our fingers crossed as we headed down the consolidated snow slopes then up to Prusik Pass. I was surprised to see just one tent in the upper Enchantments and not a soul around anywhere.

Aasgard Guard

PrusikPeak_005.JPG

Lots of goats out

PrusikPeak_007.JPG

Talisman Lake

PrusikPeak_008.JPG

Once at the base of the route, we were having a hard time figuring out where to stash the extra pack and gear so we shoved it under the balanced rock and put in some rocks to hopefully keep any critters at bay.

Balance Rock and base of climb

PrusikPeak_017.JPG

First few pitches or one long one

PrusikPeak_018.JPG

Getting ready

PrusikPeak_019.JPG

I linked the first two pitches together and topped out on the ridge but with a tunnel between me and the crux slab - guess I went up a little early? While I belayed Brian up, a goat started rummaging around under the balanced rock. I screamed and made faces to no avail so eventually decided to rain down some condemnation. He scurried along. I worried. Anyhoo, Brian made it up and continued on through the tunnel (barely fit - ha) then he set up a good anchor below the crux slab.

Brian arrives on ridge

PrusikPeak_020.JPG

Tunnel on ridge to crux slab. Off route?

PrusikPeak_021.JPG

Setting an anchor

PrusikPeak_022.JPG

I clipped the crappy piton then tip-toed up and over, wondering if that could truely be the crux. Seemed much easier than the second pitch. From the top of the slab, I went towards the south face and followed a horzontal crack to the butt-scoot section. Looked like a person could step down the north side to avoid the ride but it was all good.

Brian arrived at the belay then scrambled up the benches on the north side, setting one piece where it was kinda dicey then belayed me up to a large bench. There was a small vertical finger crack in a corner on the right (west) end so I started up that. The crack had good placements and was quite fun though a little thin on the fingers lower down. It ended on another bench where I found a right trending flake off to the left. The flake had bomber hands but no feet and placing a piece without my feet slipping took a little effort. At the top of the pitch I found a chimney that looked pretty good but rope drag was suck so I brought Brian up. We didn't know if this was the 5.8 chimney or the 5.4 but couldn't find any blind corners to the right so Brian headed up. It was a short chimney which took no pro. Brian climbed it by squirming inside, I found a few small face holds on the outside.

Brian enjoying the exposure

PrusikPeak_023.JPG

Me tagging the summit

PrusikPeak_024.JPG

Brian tagging the summit

PrusikPeak_025.JPG

We couldn't find a register so just sat around enjoying the views for half an hour.

The Lost World

PrusikPeak_013.JPG

The Enchantments

PrusikPeak_029.JPG

The raps went well but the rope stuck on the last one. Hard pulling got it unstuck. We did the short traverse back to the base of the route in rock shoes. There was one small patch of snow near the base that was easily avoidable. We arrived just in time to find Mr. Marmot finishing off the last of my electrolyte tablets.

PrusikPeak_033.JPG

The trip back up to Aasgard was easy but we were beat by the time we reached the trail at the end of the lake. The hike back to the trailhead went on forever. Brian made it into his bivy but I just laid down face first in the middle of the parking area. We got a few hours of quality sleep before heading out.

Easy slog back to Aasgard

PrusikPeak_034.JPG

Easy slog back to Aasgard

PrusikPeak_037.JPG

Ick

PrusikPeak_038.JPG

Glad we finally got this one in. Excellent setting; great rock.

PrusikPeak_011.JPG

Gear Notes:

Cams .3 to 2

Nuts

Brought ice ax - didn't need

Brought crampons - didn't need

Approach Notes:

Consolidated snow with a few sections of trail through the Enchantments

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No bolts. Webbing set perfect for single rope raps. (ADDED): Actually one bolt on top.

The only thing I did to the pic was adjust the levels slightly. On top of everything else going right, we actually had perfect lighting :)

Edited by spotly