[TR] The Tooth - 5/30/2009

spotly

Trip: The Tooth -

Date: 5/30/2009

Trip Report:

Carl and I took a couple of friends up to The Tooth Saturday for their first alpine multipitch rock climb.

We started at 5:15 to avoid the hoards that we knew would surely arrive on such a fine day. The snow started at the trailhead but was consolidated up to Great Scott Basin and only got mushy in the few spots where the sun was hitting it (no postholing). There was a huge amount of rockfall on the open traverse above the stream. The first chute up to the base of the route has snow to within 15 feet of the top but it's thin in spots and of course pretty steep. We opted to take the other pass (which of these two is actually Pineapple Pass?), which was smooth sailing up and over. There's lots of snow on the backside traverse but the 3rd class scramble to the base was dry.

We cruised to the summit and enjoyed the views for two hours before noticing another team heading up the basin. Rapped off about the time they arrived. One more stuck nut on the first pitch (sad face). The snow was very soft heading down, making for a most excellent race between Carl and I (damn, that was fun). Here's some pics in case you can't get enough of The Tooth.

Good steps

TheTooth4_006.JPG

Jimmay gets his first alpine summit

TheTooth4_010.JPG

Me posing for a hero shot

TheTooth4_012.JPG

The Summit Team - Me, Jim, Carl (yellow helmet), and Brad (Brads first multipitch)

TheTooth4_015.JPG

If only I too were coordinated...

TheTooth4_020.JPG

This was a bit slick and quite a drop for the unwary glissader

TheTooth4_022.JPG

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your .4 cam is thoroughly fixed, I spent ~20 mins trying to clean it, bouncing on yellow and orange tcu's trying to expand the crack slightly. I gave up after my tcu's pulled out for the 3rd time and your cam hadn't budged. That crack is not forgiving if you place an overcammed piece, that green camalot 10" below your .4 has been there for over a year and a half now and I don't think it's been budged a centimeter.

Your .4 cam is thoroughly fixed, I spent ~20 mins trying to clean it, bouncing on yellow and orange tcu's trying to expand the crack slightly. I gave up after my tcu's pulled out for the 3rd time and your cam hadn't budged. That crack is not forgiving if you place an overcammed piece, that green camalot 10" below your .4 has been there for over a year and a half now and I don't think it's been budged a centimeter.

haha thanks for tryin. Had a friend do is first trad lead on that section and wouldn't ya know it - locked in his first piece too solid!