[TR] Indian Summer in the Menagerie - Rooster Rock-West Face, Hen Rock-Winter Sunshine 10/25/2008

sparverius

Trip: Indian Summer in the Menagerie - Rooster Rock-West Face, Hen Rock-Winter Sunshine

Date: 10/25/2008

Trip Report:

Logan and I headed up to the Menagerie last Saturday for one last stab at summertime glory. We slept under the stars at the trailhead and didn't stir until the sun broke into the canyon at 10. The approach took just under an hour and put us at the base of Rooster Rock.

summer_060.jpg

We started with the "classic" west face route on Rooster. This route has some potential, but needs some gardening and a good scrubbing.

Looking down from halfway up the first pitch

summer_062.jpg

The upper part of this pitch presented problems with a flaring chimney leading to an overhang, but redeemed itself with a nice hand crack in the moss. I pulled off large mats of the stuff and wondered about growth rates of moss, and when this route had last seen activity.

summer_068.jpg

I belayed Logan from a mossy ledge atop the first pitch and tried to clear the dirt and moss from my face.

More awkwardness followed on the second pitch, but Logan led it elegantly.

summer_072.jpg

summer_074.jpg

summer_080.jpg

After exiting the awkwardness, a short but sweet open book led to the summit.

summer_084.jpg

Chicken Rock

summer_092.jpg

We opted to end the day with winter sunshine, a bolted route on Hen Rock's south face. Logan followed my thrashing and scratching lead, and we enjoyed a fine sunset on top and hiked down in the dark.

summer_096.jpg

summer_097.jpg

Approach Notes:

steep and sweaty

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job you guys. What a great weekend up there eh? We were over on north and south rabbit ear that day. Glad to see Logan finally make it out there he kept telling me he was going to. Nice send, the west face though dirty as hell protects pretty damn well for a menagerie route. Did you do Winter Sunshine to the top in one pitch? :brew: :brew:

Hey Ian, I think we met three years ago at Wolf Rock when you were climbing with Deverton. I've seen you around over the years and at some of Logan's parties. I've never climbed with Tyler, but first started climbing in Oregon with skyclimb a while ago, who you may have climbed with. If you're still in corvallis, I'm always looking for new climbing partners.

Jason

Edited by sparverius