[TR] Mt. Baker - standard south side railroad grade 9/11/2008

Lucky Larry

Trip: Mt. Baker - standard south side railroad grade

Date: 9/11/2008

Trip Report:

I was solo, again, and it has been awhile since I have been on something with real big cravasses (sp?) on it. Camped at 6500' for 3 nites. Made it to 9600' before I got spooked, choked, did not feel it, hips/ back concerns and bailed. At 8200' took a very big dump and then down to camp and brewed up. Of course, I felt shitty for leaving that big ol' crap up there and went back up to clean up all that pooh. Talked to this other guy that soloed it later that day and he said the place I got spooked wasn't that bad; he just went between the ice and rock. Anyway, I just want to say to you dudes that bagging a peak may be real important to you but please take bags to bag all your Pooh Too. Even pack it out if you are below timberline in suspect areas.

Also met this guy who was a double leg amputee who climbed the mtn with his buddy-thanks for the reality check and best wishes to you.

Edited by oldlarry

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Very timely response. Maybe that should be Old and Slow Larry.

While we're talking about poo, who took a dump at the base of the Liberty Crack in July 2008? The POS simply put a rock over it so every other party had to stand on the poo covered rock?

who took a dump at the base of the Liberty Crack in July 2008? The POS simply put a rock over it so every other party had to stand on the poo covered rock?

Uhm..standard Mountie practice is to smear the poo on a rock to let the UV rays take care of it naturally.

I love that practice :rolleyes:

Maybe it was a Mountie who had second thoughts on the practice and tried to cover up thier transgression?

another shitty subject: a book called "going higher and faster" or such and such said to toss the toxic stuff down a crevasse. a friend who use to work with OB did the same. I say if you pack the kids along you should pack em out esp on popular glaciers-which are probably most of the ones people are on-bag it and drop in heavy duty bag or nalgene bottle FCOL.