[TR] Vantage - Sunshine Wall, Various Routes 9/19/2007

catbirdseat

Trip: Vantage - Sunshine Wall, Various Routes

Date: 9/19/2007

Trip Report:

TeleRoss and I went out to Vantage on a Wednesday when it was kind of gloomy and cold in Seattle. We were the only car in the parking lot and never saw a soul at Sunshine Wall all day. It was partly cloudy at the Coulee and nice and warm with temps in the upper 70's.

We climbed Corner Pockets, George and Martha, Elvis's Pharmacist, Red M&M's, Chemically Adjusted Reality, and a link up of Stems and Seeds to the finish on Bob's your Uncle.

That link up just wore me out. Just when you're past the difficulties on Stems and Seeds you get to do the crux on Bob's your Uncle. Just about every muscle in my body was in open rebellion.

It was a really fun and productive day and Ross is a hell of a lot of fun to climb with. Ordinarily six pitches at Vantage wouldn't be a big day for me, but this is the first time I'd done that many routes at those grades.

This was my first time up Red M&M's. It's an interesting route. I can say categorically I am not ready to lead that one! Chemically Adjusted Reality turned out to be very easy for 5.10c, more like 5.10a. It seems to protect just fine, and is not quite as loose as it appears.

Returning to the car, there was one other car with a pair of hikers. There was a car at the Feathers and that's it! The trash is all picked up and there is a sign that some climber posted on the kiosk showing how bad it looked and reminding people to pack it all out.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think that?

Interesting thing about it is that the first time I top roped that route, I used the arete of the column on the left a lot. This time I might have used it once.

There is a crux on that route that's a real head scratcher. There is a funky pod that looks like a flared hand or fist jam, but there are also some face features. So you're there going, "do I jam this, side pull it, undercling it, crimp it, or what?" I don't even remember what the hell I did.

:tup: to G&M. Very good route.

Air Guitar is just fun.

Sinsemilla :tup: Also very cool and well protected.

Crack Master Lambada :tdown: Unless my perception at the time was truly warped, I remember solid 10 climbing interspersed with truly shitty pro! Granted my perception of small gear has changed a bit since then but.....