[TR] The Adamants - Various 7/23/2007

Trip: The Adamants - Various

Date: 7/23/2007

Trip Report:

On the 23rd of July a friend from Squamish and myself flew into the Unicorn basin below the West Buttress of the Horn. This was my second visit to the area.....last years TR is here: LINK

The primary goal of the trip was field work for my MSc and a bit o' climbering. After having to bail last year, my main climbing goal was to climb the West Buttress of the Horn, a stunning ~20 pitch route similar to the BC in the bugs.

We warmed up with a quick ascent of the Gibson-Rohn route on Ironman, one of the best routes I've done anywhere.

After sitting in the rain for three days we sent the Horn all free in a day, completing a difficult two pitch variation on the first tower, likely the third all-free one-day ascent of this outstanding route.

There remains a lot of unclimbed rock and big objectives in the Adamants for the committed.

Here's some pics, enjoy!

Adamants_Pan.jpg

Adamants Panorama

PICT0007.JPG

Camp below The Horn

IMGP3120.jpg

Our variation on the Horn(a pic from last year's attempt)

PICT0009.JPG

Headwall splitter on the first tower

PICT0010.JPG

Shawn at the base of the second tower

PICT0011.JPG

Summit of The Horn

PICT0014.JPG

Iron Man

PICT0015.JPG

High on Iron Man

PICT0026.JPG

Bath Time!

Gear Notes:

Double cams to #2 + one #3 & #4

walking axe and crampons

Approach Notes:

CMH Chopper

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rock can be amazing....really amazing, but it can also be slammed shut, scary-loose and really run-out on marginal gear and hard climbing. The climbing there (at least on the west side) really starts around 5.10, perhaps with a few exceptions.....so there's not so much easy, fun stuff to do as in the Bugs. It's like the evil bastard twin of the Bugs :noway: . New routeing there requires a bolt or two, big balls or both :lmao: .... The routes i've done/seen there are sandbagged and feel really committing....I can see why Fred would like it :laf: