[TR] P. Bunyan's Stump / Colonial Peak - 2-Peak Day Hike 7/15/2007

zoroastr

Trip: P. Bunyan's Stump / Colonial Peak - 2-Peak Day Hike

Date: 7/15/2007

Trip Report:

Last Sunday, EJohnson and I decided to do a bit of "cleanup" in the Colonial Peak region. We'd already bagged several area walk-ups, but never Colonial itself, nor Paul Bunyan's Stump. After mounting the Colonial Glacier, we encountered a few Mountaineers descending from a climb of Snowfield Peak (located across the Neve Glacier). Last season, Johnson and I, along with a friend of Erick's, enjoyed a nice dayclimb of Snowfield in early season, logging a car-to-car time of just over ten hours--it was a blast, but a bit of a slog.

colo-p-5.jpg

On the lower slopes of P.B.'s Stump, during one of the peak's rare cloudless moments. By the time we approached the terminal summit blocks, the thing was once again socked in, and we were robbed of what must surely be some incredible views--grrr! We got revenge later in the day on top of Colonial.

colo-p-7.jpg

With the peak's upper reaches totally shrouded in mist, we mistakenly took the first line that looked like it might go. We knew we were off route when the moves started to run to 4th and low 5th class. Once on top, the joggers' 2nd class route revealed itself. Doing the summit ridge from the wrong side was a bit sketchy; the thing's realy just a pile of loose, teeter-totter blocks. Tiptoe carefully, as there's some healthy exposure...

colo-p-9b.jpg

After topping out on the Stump, we decided to head back to the car early and grab some brews in town, but Colonial stayed fog-free and looked too tempting to pass up. Within minutes we were panting up the the lower slopes of the day's second goal. As we hadn't studied the guidebook, we picked what looked like a 3rd-class scramble route up a rocky ridge. For the second time that day, we had underestimated our line. A series of 4th-class ledges got us pretty close to what we thought was the summit...

colo-p-9f.jpg

Found a neat little buttress toward the top of Colonial--made for a nice, airy scramble.

colo-p-9g.jpg

From our high point on the summit ridge, we looked across to the true summit, which seemed to be about 20 feet higher. We immediately began casting about for a route to the peak's true apex, but some 40 mph, knock-you-on-your-ass winds, combined with the lateness of the hour prompted us to bail. Naturally, on descent, we discovered a huge cairn marking the joggers' path. Memo to self: RTFGB! We started our descent at 5:00 PM, and were at the car by 8:10 PM with bags o' daylight left, giving us a CTC time of 10-1/2 hours.

colo-p-9h.jpg

Contemplating the goal of last year's epic day climb: distant Snowfield Peak from a point near the Colonial-Neve Col. This shot was meant to placate the 'stop-and-smell-the-roses' crowd, whose ire we constantly risk provoking with our fast-n-light tactics...oops, I didn't mean to open that particular can of worms...forget I said that.

colo-p-9i.jpg

Edited by zoroastr

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic