[TR] St. Peters Dome - 4/21/2007

Animal

Trip:St. Peters Dome -

Date: 4/21/2007

Trip Report:

Saturday April 21 & 22 Bremerjohn and I climbed St. Peters Dome on the South side of the Duckabush River. We forded the river after hiking up the trail for 5.5 miles. The river ford was about knee deep. John and I basically did not find any beta on this peak so the climb felt very pure. We basically chose a route that looked doable via the topo maps. The climb entailed climbing up steep thick Olympic forest until we reached a ridge. We then went too far up the ridge and had to back track a little in out route finding. This was a trip where an altimeter would have been nice since the visibility was practically nothing because the snowy weather. We then traveled up and down some lightly forested humps. On one of the humps the clouds faded just a little to allow us to see the peak. This sighting was good because we really had no idea where we were, and my GPS wasn’t working. The short view of the peak indicated that we needed to drop and go back up a gully to reach a saddle on the south west ridge between the peak and a knob on the ridge. We then proceeded to scramble to the summit. Time up from the trailhead was nine hours. We descended back to the saddle and raped down the forested gully mainly because it was very icy, and we also forgot to bring our crampons (oops). We were exhausted, and luck would have it we found a large rock overhanging boulder to spend the night under. In the morning I knew every position possible to spoon with the two large boulders squeezing my hips. I asked John how he slept, and he replied “what sleep”. It snowed all night. The area received about 6” of new snow. We basically followed out same route out. Here are some pictures of the trip. It was very wet on the summit, so we are lacking some good shots. If anyone has ever climbed this peak or know someone who has let us know, because there was definitely no information on the approach we took. John you can chime in with any pictures you may have or any comments!

IMG_0686.JPG

The above is a summit shot!

IMG_0706.JPG

The above is St. Peters Dome.

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

The above is part of the ridge North of the Brothers

IMG_0724.JPG

Edited by Animal

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply