[TR] Mt Stuart - Cascadian Couloir 3/25/2007

Good2Go

Trip: Mt Stuart - Cascadian Couloir

Date: 3/25/2007

Trip Report:

Recent weather patterns have been delivering snow during the week and copious "gifts" of Hawaiin moisture on the weekends. Last Saturday was no exception. I've recently been relegated to weekend warior status, so suffice it to say I was more than a little perturbed that our planned climb/ski of Stuart on Sunday might have to be aborted. The forecast, however, offered a glimmer of hope. Warm rain was supposed to taper off late Saturday night, with a potential 1-3" of freshies to be deposited on East slopes by the waning edge of the front. I've been burned by that kind of forecast many times before, but the key to being a succesful mountaineer is a short memory coupled with a strong ability to suspend disbelief. And sometimes, you just gotta resort to praying for benevolence from the weather gods. Thankfully, this time it all worked out. We awoke to starry skies at the Teanaway Road snow park, which greatly enhanced our cautious optimism. As we skinned up Long's Pass, we discovered dust on crust that grew progressively deeper as we gained altitude. The ski down the N side confirmed the diagnosis of powder. By the time we began our climb up the S shoulder of Stewie, broken clouds had given way to bluebird skies. We skinned most of route in pow and wind buff conditions, switching occassionally to crampons and axe, where it seemed more efficient. We skied from the false summit. (Didn't make the summit traverse this time, due priimarily to time constraints.) Lower descent was via the Cascadian. Mostly pow, some wind buff and minimal crust. All in all, a brilliant outing.

More of Kendall S's photos can be found here: Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=13ene2lz.7nflf0gb&Uy=h7860t&Ux=0

BTW - If anyone's interested (Skykilo, et al?), Ulrich's appears to be in fine shape right now.

554478107403_0_BG_1_.jpg111178107403_0_BG_1_.jpg

Gear Notes:

Snomos for the road approach. Harscheisen for the skinning. Pons and axes for the false summit headwall and the summit traverse, if you are so inclined.

Approach Notes:

Snomo approach is mostly covered, with only a few 50 meter+ bare spots. The snow on the road was ultra slushy though, so I doubt it will be in shape much longer.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic