[TR] Castle Crags - Cosmic Wall 3/11/2007

sparverius

Trip: Castle Crags - Cosmic Wall

Date: 3/11/2007

Trip Report:

Anna and I decided to take advantage of the warm weather this past weekend and headed down to Castle Crags. Despite the beautufil weather, we only encountered two hiking parties on the trail into the wilderness. The only snow on the approach was on the ridge leading up to Mt. Hubris. Postholing through the rotten snow into tangles of manzanita slowed our progress. Once on the route, the climbing was nearly snow free. There was a snow drift at one of the belay ledges and small streams of meltwater ran down some of the cracks. These didn't detract from the climb, as we had the crags to ourselves and great views of Shasta and surrounding crags.

The rappel into the gulley presented more lingering snowdrifts and a frustrating descent to the trail. But the thrashing and postholing didn't last long. We were rewarded by the setting sun, which lit up the granite and pines and turned Mt. Shasta pink.

castlecrags1.jpg

castlecrags2.jpg

Approaching Mt. Hubris and Cosmic Wall

castlecrags3.jpg

castecrags4.jpg

castlecrags5.jpg

Castle Dome

castlecrags6.jpg

castlecrags7.jpg

the fun descent

castlecrags8.jpg

Gear Notes:

60m rope is useful to reduce the number of pitches and rappels

Approach Notes:

trail is snowfree. Ridge leading up to base of Cosmic wall has patches of deep snow. Descent Gulley also has deep snow.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Wow, those pics bring back some memories. I climbed it with an old buddy, Michael Moore, in May 1997 after crunching my knee just a few weeks earlier. The ortho twice drained 12oz of fluid out of it so it worked enough for me to go (we also climbed Casaval Ridge on that trip). I'll remember thrashing through that manzanita in shorts for the rest of my life!

Thanks for the pics and the trip down memory lane.

L

• 1 month later...

Great shots. I have not been able to get down to these crags but am planning on hitting them next week. Any guidebooks and/or links to find some helpful beta?

** Been climbing in the NW for so long, thought some California granite would be a nice change.