[TR] Sahale Peak- Quien Sabe 6/3/2006

AaronB

Climb: Sahale Peak-Quien Sabe

Date of Climb: 6/3/2006

Trip Report:

After doing this climb a few years ago, and remembering how easy it was, I decided to take a few friends on their first alpine climb.

We left Seattle early friday morning. We arrived in Bellingham right as I woke up, and informed Liz that we passed Hwy 20 about 35 miles ago.

The approach was very wet. The trail is much more overgrown than I remember, and the fresh rain soaked the brush which in turn soaked us. Right about at the 2nd avalanche knockdown, the rain started very hard. It stopped about an hour later as we bushwacked our way into Boston Basin.

4902PIMG6682-med.JPG

We slept suprisingly well given the noisy rain on our tent all night. (the Yukon Jack helped)

We woke up around 6am and got started under very lightly falling snow. (much better than rain).

We just put our heads down and hiked non stop until we roped up. The climb was very straight forward, and there was a lot more snow up there compared to two years ago. The heavy rain had made the glacier not very pleasant to walk on.

I managed to poke through a few times.

4902PIMG6774-med.JPG

For the most part it was just kicking steps, and then postholing, but sometimes wallowing. For me at 6'4" it wasn't too bad. Liz and Steph are around 5'2" and were having a tough time following my tracks.

4902PIMG6760-med.JPG

4902PIMG6747-med.JPG

That didn't stop a little air guitar action.

4902PIMG6771-med.JPG

We had a good time, and made good time. The cornice at the top was pretty huge and overhanging so we stayed as close to the fracture line as we could without punching through.

4902PIMG6737-med.JPGp><p> Anyway a good trip, and brutal hike out.  Very hot, I could have done the climb in a tshirt if I had brought one.  It felt like 60+ degrees up there.  The rain and humidity didn

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/4902PIMG6745-med.JPG' alt='4902PIMG6745-med.JPG'>

The beer waiting for us in the creek by the car did.

Gear Notes:

Umbrella would have been nice. Maybe some galoshes.

Approach Notes:

Road open up to mile 20? So about 1-2 miles from Boston Basin Trail Head. After the second avy field I don't know what to tell you. The trail is under snow, and their isn't exactly any footprints. Just make your way up.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must've seen you guys on the trail while coming out. I was taking a 6 day mountaineering class with Alpine Ascents (about 9 of us all total). We wanted to summit Sahale but didn't attempt it due to the weather detiorating Wednesday night...glad you three made it though!

Here are some pics from my trip including Forbidden (click "View Now"):

http://www2.snapfish.com/shareethumbnail.../otsi=SALB/t_=0

I must've seen you guys on the trail while coming out. I was taking a 6 day mountaineering class with Alpine Ascents (about 9 of us all total). We wanted to summit Sahale but didn't attempt it due to the weather detiorating Wednesday night...glad you three made it though!

Here are some pics from my trip including Forbidden (click "View Now"):

http://www2.snapfish.com/shareethumbnail.../otsi=SALB/t_=0

Was Dave K one of your guides? He's a good buddy of mine...