[TR] - Mt. Baring 5/13/2006

pegmatite

Climb: - Mt. Baring

Date of Climb: 5/13/2006

Trip Report:

Mt. Baring saw 10 or so climbers on its summit on May 13 via the standard route.

9033Baring_4-med.JPG

The NW ridge was generally snow free on the ridge but the slopes above and below the ridge were snow covered.

9033Baring_3-med.JPG

The remainder of the route was snow except for the summit blocks. Great glissade in the gully below the main summit-south summit notch

9033Baring_1-med.JPG

360 views from summit, though a bit hazy

9033Baring_2-med.JPG

Nothing unusual to report, except that one of the climbers drove a crampon point through his hand on the steep slope above the main notch. He made the summit anyway. Still trying to figure out the body mechanics of stepping on your hand while wearing crampons.

A comment/suggestion from the hydrogeologist…much of the lower approach follows the ephemeral stream in the gully above the clearcut. I saw a lot of bootprints traversing in and out of the gully. Sure, it’s the shortest route, but it is also the most damaging to the streambank stability, with as much impact as livestock or ATVs. When you can, follow the slope above the stream and stay out of the gully.

Gear Notes:

Ice axe was handy

Approach Notes:

No problems. Snow above 4000'

Edited by pegmatite

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you comment on how long the trip took from trailhead to summit to trailhead? I thinking about going out there next week but need to be back in town by 7 and am looking for some sense of how long it takes this time of year. I see Goldman listing it as 9 hours.

Sean

9 hours! Pshaw!

I think it took me 3+ hours up when I did it and about 2 hours down.

But that was a long time ago. I don't remember exactly. Plus, it was August. I had no snow to plod through except the gully leading to the notch where I had hard snow to contend with.