[TR] Graybeard- North Face [attempt] 5/6/2006

dbconlin

Climb: Graybeard-North Face [attempt]

Date of Climb: 5/6/2006

Trip Report:

Tyler Thirloway and I started up the north face of Graybeard on Saturday early in the morning. After the first pitch of ice (kind of an approach pitch below the face proper), we abandoned the climb due to warm temperatures and falling rocks and ice. The overnight low at our camp below the face had been a balmy 34 deg F and it was looking like a sunny and warm day. With rock- and ice-fall pelting us already by 5:30 am, we decided it would be wise to bail. We traversed off the face to the left and spent the remainder of the morning soloing along the NE ridge, which afforded some spectacular views onto the face. From what we saw the face looks quite thin, but probably climbable (with colder temps), and would likely involve a substantial amount of mixed and thin-ice climbing. Here are some photos:

From the road:

143220776_95098ec3de.jpg

From the bowl below the face:

143221417_53b1ca26c7.jpg

Tyler topping out the first pitch:

143221617_661dbd6a20.jpg

Tyler soloing along the NE ridge:

143221726_c046f02032.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kurt Hicks reported for work today with AAI, so we decided to squeeze in a trip up Graybeard yesterday. I got to the trailhead around 10:30 monday night, woke Kurt up, and we reviewed the photos he had taken ealier that evening of the face.

I said something about how the face didnt look as bad as I had imagined, Kurt just smiled and said: "just wait until your standing underneath it!"

4:45am We ditched the snowshoes and poles among the last sapling below the face, and yes, we both felt quite small and insignificant below the intimidating wall.

5:00 saw us kicking steps up to the 45degree slope. I should mention here that I had initially been hesitant to bring a back up rope (we climbed on a skinny single) but Kurt insisted so I lugged up a 60m half rope.

We soloed up the initial waterfall ice, and I led up the 300' snowfield to the "ice gully". Nelsons book suggest taking a full ice pitch angling left, then back right over the rock band. We decided to just head straight up, as the ice looked ok, and it looked more asthetic.

Kurt took out the rope, and I got the first lead. Snow over rock, thin ice, and a few 70degree steps led up 60m.

I saw some thick ice about 15 feet above me, but I knew that I was running out of rope. I decided to go for it, when a huge avalanche ripped down the gully to our right. Kurt yelled up asking how I was (ie "I'm freezing my butt off, worried about avalanches, and wondering whats taking so long!")

I decided to go for the thick ice(armed with my only remaining screw) and just as I sunk my tools high, a spindrift avalanche came right down the gully, filling my jacket with snow. It finally let up, and I built the belay with my stubby screw, and two tools equalized on a screamer. While Kurt climbed up two more spindrift avalanches blasted us, compeling me to pray for the holding power of my anchor. Upon arrival, Kurt gave me another screw to add to the belay, and we decided to bail.

15 feet to my right was a rock outcrop, where Kurt headed to build a rappel anchor. I pulled out our backup/rappel rope, and kept an eye out for more spindrift.

Every five minutes I'd yell at Kurt, then we'd both brace ourselves for the impact as the snow(with thankfully small chunks of ice) swept over us. Once the rappel was ready, I downclimbed and lowered off the stacked knifblades and nut, down to the relative safety of the snowfield.

We avoided the initial ice pitch by traversing off the snowfield through trees to skier left. A collective sigh of relief was breathed back at the snowshoes, while we drank and ate and psyched up for the hour long hike out.

Kurt was a great partner on this climb, his cool head made the experience fun and safe.

A few thing I learned on this adventure: Start the climb early. Despite being a "north face", the upper face (big cornice) gets sun early in the morning. We climbed through bulges to 75degrees, and our direct route looked like it got steeper above. We'll be back next spring to do the direct route the_finger.gif

We got near the summit via the NE ridge, then traversed left (to the south) and found some pretty easy slopes with just a little downclimbing on the east side of the mountain that led to a ridge above the basin. It looked like that would be the quickest way to get off the summit, though there were some steeper bits.

It was too cloudy to be sure, but if you could get off the summit on the east side, there are good slopes to descend the rest of the way.

Reading between the lines, I'd say that "spindrift" was a misnomer. Usually, that's the light sluffs that happen during snow storms. Sounds to me like you got the spring surface sluffs that happen during warming conditions, a rather heavier and more worrisome event than poofy (poufy? pofy?) lightweight spindrift. Sounds like a good call to me. thumbs_up.gif