[TR] Wallowas - Aneroid Basin- 2/18/2006

Kit

Climb: Wallowas - Aneroid Basin-

Date of Climb: 2/18/2006

Trip Report:

Let's see if I can make all of this come together, being my first TR and all.... And yes, its not really the Cascades but I've seen more WestSiders there than locals!

We headed out Saturday morning and on the way to Enterprise the Subaru dash thermometer went down to minus 13F... we were wondering if this was going to be a bad idea.

We ran into a guide from Wing Ski who informed us that there were 10 folks staying at the Aneroid Lake cabins... which was good news since we didn't have to break trail and there was still plenty of fresh snow to be had.

Also ran into a couple from Portland who were camping in a tent at the meadow below Aneroid Lake... they had a couple of VERY cold nights and another guy from the Seattle area bailed on a Aneroid summit bid presumably because of the cold757404_brr-med.jpg

But we opted for the snocave which kept us cozy all three nights

757401_home-med.jpg

Managed to find great snow on all the north and east faces with good stability (RB4), but still worried about wind-loaded areas, never saw anything but sluff tho.757402_uptrack-med.jpg757403_tracks-med.jpg

Monday we decided to make a Grand Tour summiting Aneroid Mountain (9702'), skiing down, skiing the north face of Dollar Ridge, and then skiing the east facing slope opposite from Town Hill (not sure the name of this hill).757405_upaneroid-med.jpg757407_summit-med.jpg757408_aneroidmountain-med.jpg757406-med.jpg

All in all it was a great trip! I'm hoping to get back in there soon; this was my second trip in there and it only gets better the more familiar I am with it. Any Moscow/Pullman folks want to go... I could probably be coerced into another trip!!!

Gear Notes:

Down everything. Anything to stay warm.

Approach Notes:

We skinned up right from the car and on the way out we skied to within 1/4 mile of the car before we had to carry the skis due to thin coverage in the thick trees.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic