[TR] Mt. Hood- Reid Headwall 2/11/2006

Chad_A

Climb: Mt. Hood-Reid Headwall

Date of Climb: 2/11/2006

Trip Report:

Got shut down on the 10th due to high winds; decided to head back up to give it another shot before heading back to work for my 5 day stretch; hence the ultra early start. I'll do it Colin Haley style, to save time.

00:54- Left Timberline.

02:38- At Illumination Saddle; spent ten minutes refueling, rehydrating, and geting out the tools and crampons.

03:30- Futzed around the bergshrund trying to find a way over. A couple of teetering blocks, and weak snowbridges- wasn't comfortable with crossing them solo. Diverted climbers-left over the rock ridge that separates Leuthold and Reid, to bypass it, then dived back into the towers and ice formations above. Found a fun gully with some WI2 in it.

05:15(?) above the Queens chair on easier ground. Ate and rehydrated; enjoyed the views of the beautiful moonlight illuminating all the ridges and features before me.

05:48- at the summit. Took more crappy pictures with my camera, that didn't turn out. Here's what little's worth seeing.

The top of the WI2 gully:

4625Reid_HW003.JPG

The worst picture of the summit I've taken, with the moon above Portland's lights:

4625Reid_HW006.JPG

Pic of I-Rock on the way down:

4625Reid_HW0101.JPG

Gear Notes: Pair of Quarks- glad I had them, for some funky downclimbing I had to do. G14s, my minidisc player, and a crappy night-time picture taking camera.

Approach Notes:

Perfect walking on styrofoam the whole way. The Reid is perfectly closed up.

Edited by vw4ever

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, guys. Yeah, it was solo- I was in the right headspace for it; a couple years back, I soloed Leuthold, and I liked the mental challenge of it. Also, the Reid is a great route to refresh routefinding skills.

Alan, thanks much for getting Meg's skis done so quick! I owe you beer for that, and your sunglasses that I found in my jacket pocket. I'll be looking forward to a photo class from you...this camera just doesn't seem that user friendly for it.

Either way... the pictures are what they are. Better than nothing. Get yourself an olympus Stylus Epic with the 2.8 fixed lens and live life happy. 2.8 lens with some 100 or 200 speed will work for most everything.... You can spend more and maybe improve your results?... maybe. Great report and wish to do it myself this winter... solo or not.

Edited by whidbey