sahale peak ski

tobytortorelli

my girlfriend and i climbed sahale on sunday. skied from the summit rocks (8600') all the way down to 3400' at the road. snow was great. a little mushy on the arm itself, but firm from the glacier to the arm and from just above the pass downward. round trip took 6.5 hours. there's nothing like carving big turns in may on peaks like sahale! praises to sahale! T.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats it like this time of year? what sort of gear would a person need?

Crampons and an Ice axe would be my call. The summit is 4th/low low 5th and doesn't require a rope to be done pretty safely. The first time I was ever up there, a few augusts ago, there we guys skiing the glacier. Being able to go from just below the rocks all the way back to the car would rule!

Although the snow level is now about 3K feet, so maybe it's be a post-holing mess.

I was up at Cascade Pass yesterday, 10/27/04. No snow on road to trailhead, scattered snow up to where the trail breaks out of the woods and traverses to the pass. I was hiking, but a skier was ahead of me and had switched to skis at the start of the short traverse. There was snow, at the pass and up the start of Sahale arm, but not enough for enjoyable skiing. Don't know what things were like further up the arm. Joberg and Mix-up were looking good!