Buying Gear Online?

Use our price tool to find the best price on any piece or gear or clothing. Purchases using this tool support cc.com.

Supporting Sponsors
Pro Mountain Sports
Alpine Light Down Parka 14.4oz

CC.com Blog
Be sure to check out the Cascadeclimbers.com Blog for informative posts and reviews written by knowledgeable members.
Click here to read the blog.
Who's Online
2 registered (BrendanK, lutzman), 49 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Supporting CC.com
Forum Stats
25923 Members
52 Forums
96347 Topics
1125292 Posts

Max Online: 627 @ 12/18/06 12:02 AM
Top TR Contributors
ivan 111
tvashtarkatena 99
off_the_hook 90
danhelmstadter 88
KaskadskyjKozak 87
JasonG 77
telemarker 68
Feck 67
wayne 62
G-spotter 56
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50398 - 11/28/00 11:17 AM Cutthroat Peak - South Buttress
dbb Offline
enthusiast

TRs: 8 Photos: 0
Route: South Buttress of Cutthroat Peak
Who: Dave Burdick and Marcus Collins
When: July 1999

The South Buttress of Cutthroat has a wonderful alpine rock feel. So Much so that I went back after it two weeks after being
snowed off. The first 6 pitches are class 3/4 with a series of 5th class steps up to about 5.6. Follow the SECOND sort-of
hidden gully up to the ridge crest. If you take the first one you must rappell and downclimb some exposed 5.6 to get on-route.
Once you exit the snow finger, climb gully in one full pitch to ridge crest. Follow buttress up and slightly right on the path of
least resistance. The Third pitch should follow an unprotectable gully with a few small trees. Then climb up a vertical step and
up through trees to a ledge. From the rightermost crack on the ledge, follow a short step up, then easier ground for two
pitches. It is sensible (fast) to do running belays up to this point. Over a funky block move on a ledge starts the first continous
5.6/5.7 pitch. Here is where Becky's description seems to make absolutly no sense. But don't despair, follow these flakes up
to a somewhat squeze chimney with trees in it. From there there are two options. Either climb up chimneys to good belay spot
at top and then climb leftward onto little seam in vertical slab. This involves a very airy and scantaly protectable 5.8 move up to
a ledge. The other option is to take a sandy and seemingly unprotectable class 4 gully up to the same point, and traversse
leftward into another gully. This leads to Beckey's "open chimney." It looks easy, but is fairly hard and perhaps only three
places for pro in the entire pitch. Another option, so I've heard, is to take the crack on the ridge to the right. The chimney is
easily 5.7/5.8 and the crack is about 5.5. This puts you on the sandy false summit. Go to the notch at the North end and do
the "Tarzan Leap" onto the block. Then go up the face in front of you on big awkward face moves. It's easier than it looks!

The short offwidth at the top of the route.

Continue towards the summit up a slab to the base of the short 5.8 off-width (a no. 4 camalot gives a toprope, but we slung a
wedged block lower down). Enjoyable moves with great exposure leads to the summit. Grade III, Class 5.8.

We rapped the route with a single rope. Combined downclimbing and rapps allowed us to do only 13 single rope rappels
down to the snow finger.

Help Support CascadeClimbers

MSR Adjustable Pole
$29.95
Save 40%

Lightning Flash - Women's
$139.97
Save 30%

Tech Axe T-Shirt
$19.95
Save 33%

Bravo Locking 'Biner
$7.96
Save 20%

Want to browse more deals? Check out our price comparison and deal finder tool!

#50399 - 11/30/00 06:10 PM Re: Cutthroat Peak - South Buttress
nolanr Offline
old hand

TRs: 0 Photos: 0
Loc: Shoreline
I did the same route with a buddy in July. It was a great day, except a marmot ate my boots and part of my pack where I left it in the gulley at the beginning of the technical rock climbing. And we got back to Seattle about 3 am and my friend's fiance thought we were both dead and had the sheriff out looking for us. But it was a great climb.

Moderator:  chucK, mattp, Off_White, snoboy, To_The_Top 
© 2000-10 cascadeclimbers.com · Cookies · Board Rules · Mark all read ·