Nooksack Tower and Ridge traverse

robertm

The rock climbing wasn't especially difficult.. as long as you are on route. The rock quality on the ridge connecting the tower to Shuksan is some of the worst I have seen in the Cascades. The rock on the tower itself is ok. 4th to mid 5th class climbing on the tower... a couple of 5.8 moves along the ridge (Beckey 4th class). It seems that some of the ridge might have fallen off since Fred did it smile.gif

The ridge I would give a YD 5.8+ (one roof move) grade III+ by itself with mostly mid 5th class climbing and REALLY loose 4th class. You can bivy in the col between the tower and the ridge. Take 2 ropes for the rappels (double rope technique is ideal). We established anchors with double 60M ropes... combination of slings and titanium pitons.

Our ambitions were to also climb Shuksan once on the plateau... but ran out of gumption. There was another party that we watched climb the Price (50 classics), they topped out an hour before a wet snow avalanche scoured the entire route (unknown to them). They must have ran out of gas too because we followed their foot prints and they didn't head for the summit.

All in all a awesome place to climb with spectacular scenery and some of the most rugged terrain I have ever experienced. The other thing about the tower that is so intimidating is the fact that there is no easy way down. You are faced with down climbing really steep snow and ice with no margin for error. You could almost say what we did was safer... especially now that we have established the rappels. It was surprising to us that only one other party had done what we did... Judging by the names in summit register it looked like about 1 party per year does the tower... surprising since it is in the Selected Climbs. I think when people get up there and look at it they get psyched out a bit. I know we did. It took me my third time up there before we did it.

I don't think the Ridge gets done much at all. There were no fixed anchors on the Raps or the ridge until the last tower before the Shuksan plateu. This could be because people have tried to climb it coming the other way (from Shuksan and then bail when they realize how poor the rock is).

One other thing. I forgot my helmet... not a great place to do that.

Here is the link to some pics:

http://www.alpinezone.50megs.com/

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 years later...

Hey, any feedback on this route/s? Seven years ago when I first moved here this was on my list, had a perfect week of weather and 3 partners bail in a row (one while I was literally walking out the door bags packed, calling saying he had the flu). For some reason I'm thinking about it again this summer. Anyone climbed it (especially in recent years) who has anything to say about it (general beta, "it's awesome" or "it sucks ass", also which line you took/ might recommend)? I appreciate it.

Edited by crazy_t

Can anyone comment on the creek crossings? Has the trail been disturbed, or is it still prisitine once you cross the second log?

It is such a wonderful setting to play within. Be cautious of dropping a tent at that nice, beautiful sandy tent spot, craddled in a rock basin, on the ridge just above the glacier over looking the lake it can really fill up with water during rain events.

What were the rap anchors like?

Edited by blueserac

looks "unique" for sure, "interesting"! Must have been an epic climb. Thanks for the pic. A couple of my friends did the ridge a # of years ago in summer and reported rapping off of piles of stones, etc. But descending the "regular route" terrain looks spicy to me too. I'm ok with loose rock and runouts, less ok with rockfall. I'm thinking about going in July roughly.