[TR] Liberty Bell- NW Face 7/9/2005

forrest_m

Climb: Liberty Bell-NW Face

Date of Climb: 7/9/2005

Trip Report:

Ade and I climbed this on Saturday. It was really cold for July. On the 3rd pitch, to the left of the standard route, there are 2 different variations on the slab. Does anyone know the story with them?

Both follow good flake/crack systems up to a small roof, and then the crack systems peter out above. The left hand variation (which we did) has a fixed pin about 1/2 way up; the right hand variation has a bolt about 3/4 of the way and looked harder(?).

Gear Notes:

small wires would have been useful on the p. 3 variation

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job on your climb.

Did the left one yesterday. Quite fun except for the runout in the flared groove between the pins. (I counted 2 fixed pins in it). What did you think, maybe 10B?

It looks like the bolt on the right one is to protect the runout where the crack peters out into a groove.

5475Crux_LB.jpg

yes, your photo is where i was talking about. i must have missed one of the fixed pins - was it lower down? i started in the right hand crack and traversed in below the roofs. 10b sounds about right. i thought the technical crux was actually traversing back right from the fin at the top of the corner - it might be a lot easier without the lichen!

a friend of mine did the right hand variation (with the bolt) and claims that it was only 5.9 - he was doing the route with a relatively inexperienced leader and she led that pitch. sure looks harder from below.