[TR] Pica Peak- Blue Buttress 7/29/2004

geordie

Climb: Pica Peak-Blue Buttress

Date of Climb: 7/29/2004

Trip Report:

BabyZ Rat helped me sneak out of the office after two months of all work and no play. He suggested Pica Peak aka Poster Peak that has been written up both here and in the NWMJ.

We had a casual start from Marbles and after a short wait in the Diablo construction zone, found ourselves meandering through the woods at the hairpin. As we climbed up the scree and schwacked towards the climb I confirmed my office bound fitness. Luckily we reread the approach directions before hiking all the way to Kangaroo pass.

The climb was a great casual day out, though much too smokey for my tastes and a few too many choppers (despite my affection for Skycranes). We soloed much of the route, simuled a little and roped up for a pitch or two.

It was a nice climb, but not a classic. There are too many loose blocks for me to reccommend it to beginners, but it would be a good first simul-climb for folks gaining experience. There wasn't lots of mid 5th, perhaps a dozen moves.

PS- I left BabyZ's waterbottle near the top when I changed shoes, he'd like it back if you get up there.

Gear Notes:

Helmets

rope

shoes for walking off (BabyZ climbed it in approach shoes)

a couple cams,nuts, hexs, more slings than anything else

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic