[TR] Sahale Mountain- Sahale Glacier 6/26/2004

scot'teryx

Climb: Sahale Mountain-Sahale Glacier

Date of Climb: 6/26/2004

Trip Report:

Left Eldo TH @ 10am on Saturday and started up the road. Decided against bikes from beta of fellow cc'ers. Never found the infamous crossing as they had fixed it, and bikes would have been very helpful. The trail to Cascade Pass was simple, and only a few patches of snow were encountered en route to Sahale Arm.

Snow was finally encountered at Sahale Camp, but most of the camps were exposed and available. Weather was really bad the entire day with no views and heavy winds. Never saw Sahale Peak or the surrounding mountains except for some minor breaks in the weather.

One other group of 3 entered camp around 8pm that night and opted to stay on the snow for some reason.

Started the next morniing with some clear skies at 6am. Glacier was bening except for a few of the gapers that are always there near the top shelf. Snow was all the way up to the shoulder, but the regular route looked too dicey to take some of the group on, so we opted for the south face route (Rappel route). 40 degree snow approached the start of the rock route. Conditons changed quickly and we encountered cold winds and low visibility while getting the group on the summit.

The descent was quick, but a few crevasses had opened up while the warmer weather hit the glacier. Encountered one solo skier around 2pm, and felt very sad for him, that must have been one hellish approach for 1500 feet of skiing!

From camp, the descent was long, especially the last 3.5 miles on pavement and gravel roads.

I really don't believe that Sahale Camp is 2 miles from Cascade Pass, it just doesn't seem correct....anyone else have an opinion on this one?

Gear Notes:

Small rack of cams, glacier gear, 30m 8.1 rope

Approach Notes:

Road closed at Eldo TH (mp 19) 3.5 miles to Cascade Pass TH. Trail to Cascade Pass is virtually snow free w/o any problems.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Additional Information:

Ran into a Black Bear at the Cascade pass TH just a few steps up from the road. I think I was about 5 feet from the bear when it inched towards me and pounded the ground a few times. I turned around, yelled "Oh Shit", pushed the person behind me out of the way and yelled "BEAR!" and toppled everyone else over as I scattered and they followed. 5 minutes later a few rangers showed up and got rid of it so we could get by since it was blocking the trail.

Someone also stole my one trekking pole leaving me with only 1 for the descent. Man I wish I owuld have had that pole.......

Edited by scot'teryx

Additional Information:

Ran into a Black Bear at the Cascade pass TH just a few steps up from the road. I think I was about 5 feet from the bear when it inched towards me and pounded the ground a few times. I turned around, yelled "Oh Shit", pushed the person behind me out of the way and yelled "BEAR!" and toppled everyone else over as I scattered and they followed. 5 minutes later a few rangers showed up and got rid of it so we could get by since it was blocking the trail.

Someone also stole my one trekking pole leaving me with only 1 for the descent. Man I wish I owuld have had that pole.......

Um, have you read *anything* about what you are supposed to do when you encounter a bear? Run away, push people down and scream isn't exactly the recommended thing... pitty.gif

Um, have you read *anything* about what you are supposed to do when you encounter a bear? Run away, push people down and scream isn't exactly the recommended thing... pitty.gif

Might be a good strategy in a group. You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than other party members. cool.gif

I'd really like to know what the infamous JoshK would have done?

Might he of fought him off with a #2 Cam like they do in some countries?

Well, considering they tell you to do anything BUT run, I would probably have not ran. rolleyes.gif

Back slowly away, keep eye contact...all that shiz...

Description: Scot'teryx lived in the jurassic period. It was a fast runner, traveled in groups, but disappeared mysteriously. Most consider from recent tracks discovered that it became extinct due to it's 'fear' and would trample over its own children and family to escape the monsterous mice of the day...