[TR] Davis Peak- SE Ridge 4/10/2004

Stefan

Climb: Davis Peak-SE Ridge

Date of Climb: 4/10/2004

Trip Report:

Davis Peak was made by Greg K., Dave C., Brian H., and myself on Saturday. After getting some great information from Don G. on his ascent up this peak a couple of years ago, I thought this would be a good easy outing.

We parked at a pullout on the north side of the highway just before mile marker 151(?) and started moving by 7:30. Don G. had told us about a trail, but we could not find it; however, on the way down we found the trail--it starts at the furthest east end of the pullout. We walked underneath the lower powerlines for a little while before we soon headed up to the upper powerlines and into the forest. Brush is unpleasant underneath the powerlines and improves once you enter the forest. After the upper powerlines we ascended in a generally NE direction towards point 4162, where we always had a stream within hearing distance to the west of us. Going up was generally brush free but had some instances of vine maple in patches.

From point 4162 we headed west towards the 5500+ foot plateau on the ridge and ran into one area where we basically had to climb a tree becuase we didn't investigate further enough to the north or to the south of where we were at; however, on the way down there were plenty of opportunities to avoid tree climbing as we found out. We made the plateau and had a looksy at the south ridge. Don G. had told me the ridge was class three and from our vantage we thought the ridge was covered in snow with cornices. I was not mentally ready to do a class 3 ridge with cornices and snow on it and this potential worried me. We traversed the main basin without the aid of snowshoes and made the south ridge just north of point 5872.

The ridge began easily on class 3 dry ledges staying below the crest on the east side. For some reason Brian, Dave, Greg, and I thought we all saw easier lines to make the ridge proper. It turned out that Brian and Dave took class 4ish to 5ish lines while Greg and I continued on easier fashion and hit a steep snow wall to make the ridge. Brian and Dave decided they were not going to take their return route on the way back.

After getting to the ridge we found out the western side of the ridge was snowfree and now only class 2. My worries were over and I was quite relieved that we would definitely make the summit on such a fine day. One minor class 3 section was encountered just before the false summit.

We reached the summit at 1:30 and found the register signed by about 6 parties since Dallas Kloke's 1971 original signage including the last party of Don G., Natala G., Tom C., and their friend from the east coast. There was no pencil available so many more parties have ascended and not signed in than is present. Pretty nice views.

We left around 2:15 and rappelled the section where Greg and I had ascended the last section up to the ridge where the snow was the steepest. This took a little bit of time with all four of us but still went smoothly. The snow had become "mushy alfredo sauce" like and required the use of snowshoes for the traverse of the basin and back to the forest. We followed our same exact way back to the car hitting the trail that Don G. told us about below the lower powerlines and the car at 6:45. Was this the prospector's trail before the highway?

We then went to Tom and Connies place in Marblemount where they treated us to beers, margaritas, and nachos next to their innagural fire pit. It was a great time!

Notes: Snow line started around 3800 feet on the south facing treed slope and I do not recommend skis for this area.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damnit! I should have called you afterall at 9PM Friday. I could have gone with you. This is one I've wished to climb for a while (you know any peak Beckey describes as "seldom climbed" has got to be for me). Interesting to read there is a "trail" in the lower bit.

Good job! thumbs_up.gif

Some pictures of it from the Diablo Overlook:

945Davis_fr_Diablo_OvLk_sm.jpg

945Davis_fr_Diablo_Vista_sm.jpg

Josh, maybe you were being facetious, but Brian's picture he says is of Eldorado and a bunch of others IS actually of the Snowfield Group. Eldo is not visible at all. He was probably fooled by Snowfield, which does look like Eldo from this angle. It's a great picture nonetheless.

2994P1010010-med.JPG

L to R: Colonial, Pyramid, Pinnacle, Paul Bunyans Stump, Snowfield, and The Needle.

• 10 months later...