[TR] Colchuck Peak- North Buttress Couloir 2/8/2004

kurthicks

Climb: Colchuck Peak-North Buttress Couloir

Date of Climb: 2/8/2004

Trip Report:

Climbed the North Buttress Couloir yesterday. After checking the weather and avy forecasts, i skied into the lake and broke trail for cc.comers Ade and Al? on Saturday. Slept for 15 hours. started up at 6:40 under a nice full moon. the wind was howling a little in the morning, but around 8 it stopped until i topped out. the couloir has some firm snow and some knee deep pow that is highly variable from one step to the next. anyways, the view from the top of the couloir was awesome.

3720stuart2_8_2004-med.jpg

i traversed out onto the NW face as some clouds engulfed me, helping to ease the exposure a bit. the NW face has some really deep pow(waist) and some spots where it's 4" over slopy granite. the most exciting part was when i topped out on the NW face and had to climb 50+ degree powder above the east face and finish with a mantle onto the summit plateau. nothing like a 5.nothing mantle with 2000' of exposure and no belay. hellno3d.gif the descent is really straightforward down to the Col, but the SW slopes felt different than the northern ones (windloaded?)

A fun route.

3720nbc-med.JPG

Gear Notes:

2 tools

helmet

crampons

pickets would be useless

a partner would be nice

Approach Notes:

there's a well beaten path all the way into the lake now, but flotation is probably still useful.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that was us... Unlike wazzumountaineer neither of us could ski for shit so the approach took a tad longer.

There was at least 6" of new snow on the lake so we bailed.

In case anyone is (still) wondering the ice routes on Dragontail are not iced. Lots of powder snow in the gullies and not much else.

if i remember correctly, there was a little one (1-2') above the NE Couloir. I know there was one at Colchuck Col on the west side (right as you're ascending) of the big boulder, it wasn't too big either. i'd suggest waiting until the snow settles a bit though, it was a lot of wallowing...

edit: look at this pic http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=3448&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=504 i can see a slight shadow above the couloir, but that doesn't necessarily mean a lot.

Edited by wazzumountaineer