[TR] WA Pass- Cutthroat Wall - Easy Getaway 9/16/2017

EllieP

Trip: WA Pass- Cutthroat Wall - Easy Getaway

Date: 9/16/2017

Trip Report:

Looking for a fun, moderate, multi-pitch climb with no crowds at WA Pass? This climb is for you!

Climbed on Cutthroat Wall for the first time after finding it in Blake Herrington's Cascades Rock (used his descriptions) and loved the solitude, beautiful granite, and most importantly the complete lack of people.

The route was pretty clean for how little it appears to be climbed- only some pine needles in the cracks and some moss here and there. Approach from Cutthroat TH was quick- and will continue to be faster the more people pack the trail down- and the climbing was fun. There's even a second 5.9 next to Easy Getaway that we will come back to finish up. Great option when you want to avoid the crowds up the road. Plus we got to camp at the TH and hike to the lake for lunch the next morning. Very relaxing weekend spent up at the pass and we would definitely go again.

Gear Notes:

Nuts and doubles to #2, plus a #3 and #4 worked for us- we did place the #4 twice, maybe worth it.

Approach Notes:

Blake's book gives a good description of the approach, our only comments are that the trail is easy to lose and moderate brush turned into bushwhacking. Hopefully more people climb this and turn the trail into something easy to follow and the approach will be super fast!

Make sure you scramble all the way to the top and follow cairns to a slung tree rappel. After a single rappel you walk down steep, sliding dirt/sand to rock slabs and continue down mild fourth class terrain to the base.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How was the temperature on Saturday night? Myself and some friends rode mountain bikes up to the pass and back to the TH Saturday evening and it seemed pretty chilly when we hopped into the car. It looked like a decent amount of people camping up there that night.

You know....I have been in that way a hand full of times. I've climbed the North and W/NW Ridges of Hinkhouse and for the life of me I can't ever seem to sort out where in the hell Cutthroat wall is. I feel like it's fairly obvious and Blake wasn't mysterious about the approach. I just seem to go full retard when it comes to this particular wall. I Assume it's on the west side of the main arm that runs north, directly off of Hinkhouse?

Only been top that wall once. I think the confusing part is that as climbers, we hike in the trail a ways then cut off to go to the climb. We did that for this and then ended up too far upvalley from the wall. was a pleasant traverse back though.

On the descent, we came back really close to the parking lot. From the parking area, look directly uphill to see the wall.