[TR] The Brothers (attempt) (+mystery guest) - South Couloir 5/15/2015

ShadowTiger

Trip: The Brothers (attempt) (+mystery guest) - South Couloir

Date: 5/15/2015

Trip Report:

It was 1230pm and 62 F under clear skies when I left the car and started up the trail, which was in great condition, to Lena Lake. Through the numerous switchbacks I arrived and enjoyed a nice break overlooking the lake. I followed the trail around the lake and started up to The Brothers. The trail changed character quickly as I entered the Valley of the Silent Men. This is an eerie Tolkienesque forest nestled within a steep valley. It is old, dense, wet and true to the name, silent. I noted that I lost satellite contact with my GPS at times. The East Fork Lena creek bed was dry and I had read that it is because the stream goes underground at some point. I was unnerved by the silence and the dry stream bed. There has been very little snow this year and I was concerned that I would not find water higher up.

I was relieved when I came across the sound of rushing water and was soon hiking next to the creek. There are interesting rocks and grottos, and moss carpets everything. I reached the camp area for the Brothers at 430pm. As I set up camp (3100 ft) I was again struck by how ancient this place is. I explored around a little trying to locate the trail leading up to the Brothers. I encountered 2 climbers at their camp and chatted. They had turned back high on the route due to white out conditions. (Thanks for the chat and all the great beta).

I prepped for the morning and checked weather. It was overcast and at 730pm, temp was 50 F, baro=908.2, no wind, with relative humidity at 98%. After dinner, I laid down but my mind was racing. I must have drifted off but woke to a scratching noise. I turned on my headlamp but found nothing. Hmm, maybe it was just the wind. I later woke up again, not certain if I had heard something. This time I noted that my Therma-Rest was low on air. I re-inflated it and went back to sleep only to have some other noise wake me. Again I noted that the air mattress was low. I blew in some more air and listened. The valve was leaking and I couldn’t stop the leak. At this point my heart sank, because I suddenly realized what had happened. Tom Brady had visited my camp.

I drifted again and was next startled awake when something ran up my arm and past my head. WTF ! Was that real or just a weird dream? I turned on the light again and found nothing. I next looked outside and saw clear skies and a tremendous display of stars.Two hours later when I again looked it was overcast.

I got up at 0530 and noted that it was 46F, no wind, 98% humidity with a pressure of 909. After coffee I set off at 615. I caught some patches of blue sky and was optimistic. The trail was fine initially but then became difficult to follow in the undergrowth, downed trees, and debris. In places it was an obstacle course with some really fun bushwhacking. The weather was looking good.

I started into a dry, rocky gully and was still puzzling out the route. Periodically, I encountered a few ribbons and cairns left by sympathetic wanderers who were probably just as frustrated as I. There was no snow. I next emerged onto a long scree slope and the terrain steepened. I was making good time but the constant sliding underfoot was annoying. Although the skies had been clear I kept looking back over my shoulder and could see that clouds had been creeping into the valley below.

As I approached 5000 feet, I looked back and saw that I was being stalked by the building mist. I still had a good view of the route and had made good progress. At 5200 feet I got swallowed by the clouds and lost sight of the route. It cleared briefly, then closed in again. Visibility was still over 200 ft but I was unnerved by the direction the weather was going. I had read enough trip reports to know that the next several sections would be crucial in route finding. I was also concerned by the possibility of having to pick my way back down around the cliffs in a whiteout, if conditions continued to worsen. In fact I didn’t like that idea at all. At 0845 I pulled the plug. There was disappointment, but also relief, as I headed down. Temp was 45F, baro=852, wind at 3-5 mph, and humidity was 100%.

Back in camp I packed up and noted a small hole that had been eaten in my food sack. Damn!So the dream of something running up my arm was not a dream. Some small rodent had crept into my tent last night.

As I headed out I was careful on the mossy, wet, slick log bridges (complete with rotted hand rails). These logs were like teflon.

I made good time was back at the car 3 hrs later, where a delicious Ninkasi Tricerahops Double IPA was waiting patiently for me. All in all, a great trip. I advanced some skills (esp efficiency and balance on scree, rocks) and completely enjoyed the solitude of this spectacular forest.

showfull.php?photo=105104

[img:left]http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=105103&title=valley-of-the-silent-men&cat=509[/img]

Gear Notes:

Gear Notes: one partially deflated, autographed Therma-Rest.

Edited by ShadowTiger

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Tom Brady had visited my camp" has to be one of the best TR lines of the year. Solo exploration of unfamiliar terrain in the Olympics is always an adventure, a back to basics sort of primal mountaineering experience. Next time for sure, or maybe the time after that...

• 2 weeks later...