[TR] Colchuck - 43rd birthday gully 11/18/2014

Woodcutter

Trip: Colchuck - 43rd birthday gully

Date: 11/18/2014

Trip Report:

At about 7800’ on Colchuck there was ice last year & it was there again this year, on the right lobe of the Colchuck glacier. The righthand big pillar was chandeliered, brittle & seemed mostly unprotectable, plus the Frenchman was worried that the ice on the slabs above was too thin. Looks like a hell of line though. 43rd_b_gully_3.jpg

P1: (...is below the idiot in the white helmet) We went left around the back of pillar, looking to get on the big fat runnel, (but the ice was so hard & brittle that my Sarken were bouncing off & tools were not sticking, not plastic, it looks badass, steep). So we went further left up the snice gully, lots of gear in the ice & belayed at a good rock flake off a threaded wire (still there). Lovely pitch.

P1_below.jpg

P2: Steep snice, 2 dodgy screws, 1 good wire & belayed off ice axesP213.jpgP39.jpgP49.jpg

All in, a nice steady route, easier than the NBC at this time of year, short & sweet. Hiked up to the summit and laughed a lot & did a bit of shouting.

There is great potential up here, it was my birthday, old bastard now! Ha

Gear Notes:

Cams; metolius 0 to BD 3, rack of wires, pins, 8 screws. Vin Rouge from the Rhone.

Approach Notes:

The night before to the lakeRIght_lobe_Colchuck_glacier.jpgBig_picture.jpg

Edited by Woodcutter

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...well I was kinda hoping that Victor would lead the pillar, but he didn't like the look of it. And since it wasn't nearly as well formed as last year & brittle, that saved me from having to fall of it again! Ha. Nice one Danny. Pic below is Danny's from last year, shows the fat runnel well.colchuck_ice.jpg

Edited by Woodcutter