[TR] Darrington: Three O'Clock Rock - 'Till Broad Daylight to The Kone 7/20/2013

mattp

Trip: Darrington: Three O'Clock Rock - 'Till Broad Daylight to The Kone

Date: 7/20/2013

Trip Report:

I advertised on cc.com, and what do you know: RockDan replied. I hadn't climbed with him for 5 or 10 years.

We went to Three O'Clock Rock, in Darrington. For moderate granite rock climbing, near Puget Sound, this is the place to go and it has been a place dear to my heart for many years.

Knobs3.jpg

Dan suggested we head for "The Kone," an old classic. We did two and a half pitches of the route "Till Broad Daylight" to get to two and a half pitches of "The Kone."

The first pitch of 'Till Broad Daylight is really fun! Slab climbing and big knobs lead to three places where you have to step up over small overlaps, and they require a bit of prodding and planning. Dan styled it. As I left the ground his dog started to whine about being left behind but he figured it out: he wasn't going.

We continued with the second pitch of Daylight, more slabby than the first pitch, and it required some more significant gear placements.

PalmsandPrey.jpg

We then started out the next pitch with the first bolts of Daylight and then switched over to The Kone (more knobs).

Exciting.jpg

Two long diagonal pitches of very small knobs followed. Look closely and you can find something to step on.

Wow2.jpg

From the top of the climb, we rappelled straight down to the ground, on the route called "Tidbits." There we found Dan's dog, hanging out with another party. They may have made the mistake of petting him. Otherwise, I'm sure, he would have stayed where we left him.

This crag is great. Washington will definitely be worse off if the road in Clear Creek is closed due to budget cuts! Read about access issues on Washington Climbers Coalition website.

Gear Notes:

Most climbs in Darrington require a rack and 2 ropes for rappels.

Approach Notes:

Drive up forest road that may not serve a Prius or other low clearance vehicle but is otherwise fine. Hike thirty minutes up the trail, pass some really big trees, and you are there (sandals are not recommended, but it is a nice walk). Views from the climbs are awesome!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome Matt and Dan! Love that first photo that highlights the 'sea of chicken-heads' above the big arch.

Am continually amazed at how many WA climbers - even those drawn to a bit of wild scenery and adventure - have not yet sampled the joys of the Dtown slabs. For them and my kids, that road is a critical resource.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Awesome Matt and Dan! Love that first photo that highlights the 'sea of chicken-heads' above the big arch.

Am continually amazed at how many WA climbers - even those drawn to a bit of wild scenery and adventure - have not yet sampled the joys of the Dtown slabs. For them and my kids, that road is a critical resource.

+1