[TR] Boving Route, SEWS - NW Face 7/10/2013

wayne

Trip: Boving Route, SEWS - NW Face

Date: 7/10/2013

Trip Report:

I must pay tribute to an inspirational climber that put up a set of truly amazing climbs. One can only imagine what Paul Boving would have gone on to do, if it weren't for his untimely demise back in 1977. Here are a few of his best:

ROTC

Thin Fingers ( Did many times)

Boving Route, Dragontail

NW Face North Early ( I did it in '03)

NW Face, South Early, The route that Vern and I just did ,7-10-13!

The day before however, I did a solo of the SW Butt of Cutthroat Peak. I wish I could say good things about the route, but the views were spectacular.

Having only done a couple of Paul's finest, I was wary of his route on South Early Winter Spire. It had the makings of a brawl with 3 stiff pitches, the first 2 are the cruxes. Never mind doing them in the cold morning shade. I took the first one, and found it to be techy, balancey, and insecure. At the last 20 feet of the lead, I got suckered into some chalk to the right, shoulda gone straight up and left of that finish. The 2nd lead also offered great pro, it is a core workout on rattly locks in a flared thin crack. Though a short lead it is also sustained the whole way, Super fun, yet the Boving Double Roofs offer another spin on the boldness of our past explorers. Just make sure your follower is strong, not a fun fall off this one. We finished the route in a simo, and the summit is becoming a place of great celebration for me as of late. Thanks to Vern, Pro Mt Sports, and Paul, for yet another great experience!

More on my journal.

346.jpg

626.jpg

9c1.jpg

9a.jpg

2a1.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I did a solo of the SW Butt of Cutthroat Peak. I wish I could say good things about the route, but the views were spectacular" Ain't that the truth! It looks cool from the road, and you really want to like the route, but, ehhh.

We had a couple on the Boving route while we were on the SW Buttress this weekend, and I had a ringside seat for the Boving Roof pitch, belaying from the cush ledge at the start of the 5.6 friction. What a beautiful piece of stone!