[TR] Argonaut & Dragontail traverse - NE gulley (Jason's Esophagus) 6/15/2013

Trip: Argonaut & Dragontail traverse - NE gulley (Jason's Esophagus)

Date: 6/15/2013

Trip Report:

Yesterday with a Father's Day hall pass from my wife, I left Seattle about 3:30am and headed out to the Enchantments. June is an amazing time to be up in the hills and particularly here. Spring magic with the larches exploding and snow in the high hills.

I set out to repeat a trip from way back in 2007, the NE gulley of Argonaut Peak or Jason's Esophagus as I've heard it called.

9061004427_347c8e0464_z.jpg

The gulley was full of snow when I did it previously, but the gaps didn't cause any problems at this point. I don't think this one will be in condition for much longer, but this route is very enjoyable. It offers a wide-variety of challenge as well.

A party of five surprised me in the basin below the north face. It ended up that 3 of that party followed me up and 2 gained the Colchuck/Argonaut ridge a different way. I was pleased to meet Kyle Flick at the top of the couloir. He was leading a couple of younger climbers.

9063322228_431eaf3797_z.jpg

Managed to get my rope stuck (again! 2007 calling) rapping down from the upper snowfield and cut about 10m off (sniffle, sniffle).

Reaching the snowfields on the south side of the Colchuck/Argonaut ridge, a little sting of the dragon's tail seemed to be on the menu. It was late but not that late and I definitely didn't want to come down from the high country yet with hours of daylight.

Kyle called it Pandora's Box, the snowfield which takes many shapes on the west side of Dragontail. I plodded up this not really remembering what the other side looked like but wondering about the name...

When I got to the top, it opened up new world's to be sure but these were small difficulties and mostly incredible panoramas and fantastic blocks and stacks of blocks on the dragon's spiked back.

9061092923_2fcb0678a4_z.jpg

Saw a ptarmigan nearly on the summit and only because it moved. It was close enough to notice red color above it's eyes. Wonder if that is another passing phase in a life of stealth.

Thankfully able to boot ski down from Aasgard pass, I stumbled happily enchanted down the rest of the trail in the twilight.

9061093313_06ae73c44e_z.jpg

All photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/j4cooper/sets/72157634162721055/

Gear Notes:

Aluminum axe, Grivel Black Compact, Stubai Ultralight crampons, 40m rope, a lot of water throughout the day.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic