[TR] Mt. Hood - Cooper Spur 4/15/2012

Water

Trip: Mt. Hood - Cooper Spur

Date: 4/15/2012

Trip Report:

glad to have this one pan out after a handful of stymied attempts in the past few months.

left CS snopark at 2:40ish

stone shelter by 5:10~ or so

rest a bit up at the big rock on the ridge (is that tie in rock?)

top out at 10:15 and back at tline to ski at 1pm. wish i was skilled enough to have my skis with me at the top, maybe next year.

saw a headlamp around treeline, at the stone shelter we paused and the light skied down to us (sounded icy). they bagged it based on the clouds/weather..I was going to at least wait until sunrise to make that call. conditions sunday morning were definitely nothing like i expected from the forecast (sun sun sun). Hood seemed to have an inverse cloud cap--it was all clear above with clouds halo around it.

The volcanoes to the north and south all looked almost entirely visible so figured wed gauge hoods weather off them, glad we continued up.

definitely one of the best sunrises i've ever seen. snow conditions were fantastic, not sure i postholed once on the way up, firm and secure but not icy or any noticeable crust layers to deal with.

nice powder down most of the southside incl from summit ridge to hogsback made for a much more fun and happy on the knees descent.

CS-Hood-02010.jpg

CS-Hood-02014.jpg

CS-Hood-02020.jpg

seemed like a pretty solid sized avy ran down newton creek

CS-Hood-020571.jpg

CS-Hood-02059.jpg

CS-Hood-02081.jpg

token summit shot for posterity. was snowing a bit too.

CS-Hood-02092.jpg

hawgsback reward

CS-Hood-02107.jpg

Gear Notes:

lightweight/shorty 2nd axe/tool. not necessary but kind of nice for going faster.

beer always a plus

Approach Notes:

wife skiing at timberline makes carryover more fun

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne...my name is Matt :) Glad to have saved you the trip. Yes I suspect there is nada ice in there right now.

JRay, hmm so tie-in-rock bout at the spot with the rock with the japanese writing? There is one rock on the ridge about the size of an elephant or so? really big and about half way between the start of the ridge and when you start going 'up' on the route. that is the one we went behind to chill for a while out of the wind.

Matt, thanks for posting up. Nice to see the pics.

I have been eyeing this one for a while too, won't be long I'll be making another trip out and hopefully get er done.

We'll plan on a bivy I think. Got a new tent to test out... I just love being up there too. I'd like to try the S Side descent then swing around and traverse the Newton Clark back to the spur... We'll see how motivated we are after the descent if all goes well. Will make sure to have a Tline contingency (beg) as well...

Congrats,

d

I'd like to try the S Side descent then swing around and traverse the Newton Clark back to the spur... We'll see how motivated we are after the descent if all goes well. Will make sure to have a Tline contingency (beg) as well...

Congrats,

d

if you're going down the s side for the added views of the newton clark area cool, but if it's just to avoid descending the spur, don't sweat it - the exposure's all at the very beginning and if you just stay face into the slope (and especially if you have a 2nd tool) it's crazy fast n' fun :)

if you're going down the s side for the added views of the newton clark area cool, but if it's just to avoid descending the spur, don't sweat it - the exposure's all at the very beginning and if you just stay face into the slope (and especially if you have a 2nd tool) it's crazy fast n' fun :)

Yeah, I was thinkin the added views across the NC would be fun. No problem descending the spur for the crew I'll be with, and knowing them, I expect we'll probably go that route...

thanks,

d

dorianlee and mhux: using a sony NEX-5N

love photography and was updating from a p&s that did a fantastic job fwiw, but wanted more dynamic range, better low light. tried m4/3rds and found it to be only incremental improvement. almost resigned to lugging pounds of dslr stuff..fortunately went with NEX as it is light and a very capable piece of equipment. Sold the nex-5 for the 5n within a few months, the 5N really refined the original. the 7 series i hear good things but it costs a lot more.

ben: it was windiest earliest...less so later, and higher we were on the slope. unless freezing level is at 9000ft i think you can have a fine climb this weekend.

#chronic-foot-in-mouth-disease

keep an eye on it, a clear sky at night could give enough freeze to getcha a nice crust up high.

yup, plus the rock-nasty band that's problematic on the spur in early summer is still w/n the freezing zone forecast.

they open it when the road melts. . . depends on the weather/snow pack i do believe. mid-June in a good year? There are a few places on the road that are north-facing that thus hold the snow longer. On the flip side with the burn of a few years ago I imagine the sun gets on a majority of it a lot better.