[TR] Index Town Wall - Parkinng Lot 3/24/2012

mattp

Trip: Index Town Wall - Parkinng Lot

Date: 3/24/2012

Trip Report:

I visited Index yesterday to take pictures of the new and improved parking lot and porta-potties. It was sunny and almost warm. The place was BOOMING!

ParkingLot2012.jpg

Potty1cropped.jpg

I was out there a few weeks ago, in drippy weather and nobody was there.

FoggyTownWall.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

State Parks had been very supportive but it is being maintained by the Washington Climbers Coalition, along with the Access Fund and American Alpine Club, and the Mountaineers are also likely to start getting involved.

Most Index crags have been owned by State Parks for 20 years, but the Lower Town Wall was private property and is now owned by the Washington Climbers Coalition while we negotiate the terms of transfer to State Parks.

The law passed a few years ago says that all State Parks land requires the parking permit. My guess is that most people who climb out there will end up buying the permits anyway, because they are required at other climbing areas and at put-in places for boating and etc. We don't know exactly how this will play out at Index.

Read more about all of this here:

www.washingtonclimbers.org. A link on the front page leads to more information within the site. There are pages with information about the current long term Index planning efforts, information on the climbing at Index, and some hisottory of the Index fund raising effort.

If you've been there recently, and particulalrly if you have ideas about the proposed siting of a permanent toilet, take our survey!

I was up there that day, saw the new lot, and you were the first person I thought of. I appreciate all of the effort you and anyone else put into improving the lot and access at Index. It looks great. :tup:

x2 - being able to not have to take humiliating hobo-shits is a distinct improvement :rawk:

can ya'll get an escalator up to the the upper town wall now firkrisakes? i feel old enough now to deserve one :)

The purchase and the Index endowment were brought about through the efforts and donations of the organizations listed above, several other local clubs and businesses, and generous donations from climbers as well as friends of Stimson Bullitt, some of whom probably never thought climbing was a good idea but they may have wanted to honor their friend or perhaps to support recreation and the preseravation of undeveloped landscape. A bunch of people have worked really hard on all of this.

We'll be performing some additional maintenance and hope to have some ongoing clean up and maintenance projects over the coming season.

since it's being maintained by the state parks now, i assume i need my discovery pass when parking in the lot now?

I believe that the parking lot is owned by BNSF. As such, and as they continue to allow parking, a Discovery Pass is not required. There has been some talk of a land swap with the USFS who now owns the rifle (shotgun) range.